Safety not engaging.

Night_raven

You've probably got something wrong with your selector plate. Take the lower gearbox out and see if the plastic bit on the side has cracks or worn edges etc.

I'll have a look,.. though if it's cracked, what do i do?

Edit: how do i get the lower gearbox out? ... i got the body apart easily.

Setting the selector to 'safe' should do two things;

1. It 'breaks' the electrical circuit by moving the copper switch plate that's on the selector plate away from the (selector) switch contacts,

2. It actuates a baulk to physically stop the trigger moving.

Yours is doing neither it seems, which points to the selector plate not moving when you move the selector. With the gun split, look down at the rear left-hand side of the lower gearbox and switch the selector through it's full range a few times, safe~semi~auto.

You should be able to see the rear of the selector plate moving backwards and forwards.

As for how to get the lower g'box out, if you've not dismantled an AEG before, now may be the time to get some assistance from someone who has. ;)

It's not too complicated or difficult but there are a lot of little things that can go pear-shaped if you've not done one before.

Looking bottom left, somethings moving.

I've tried an seen what it does with a battery in, it fires on semi, still fires on semi when i switch it to semi, an fires auto when i switch to auto.

You meant safe, right?

Could be the selector plate is broken near the front, and the rear part is still working the cut-off as normal but the front section is stuck 'on'.

It is a strange fault though.

Have a look at this video and decide if you want to give it a go yourself.

ICS gearbox removal...

Watch this one as well, it'll show you what your tappet plate looks like (labelled 'switch plate' in video), how it works the trigger baulk (labelled 'safety plate' in the video) and the general layout of everything.

Lower g'box strip...

You meant safe, right?

Could be the selector plate is broken near the front, and the rear part is still working the cut-off as normal but the front section is stuck 'on'.

It is a strange fault though.

Have a look at this video and decide if you want to give it a go yourself.

ICS gearbox removal...

Watch this one as well, it'll show you what your tappet plate looks like (labelled 'switch plate' in video), how it works the trigger baulk (labelled 'safety plate' in the video) and the general layout of everything.

Lower g'box strip...

Yeah, it fires on Semi, when it's switched to safe, i'll watch the video, pick a few tips up, and then get down to the bottom of it.

Cheers for the help so far.

This is interesting to me, although my problem is with a G&P gearbox.

Its a G&P replacement box in a CA gun, and so its using CA internals. When I switch to safe, the trigger lock moves but somehow isnt lining up with the trigger. But the selector plate problem is the same...its still somehow firing even though the contacts shouldnt be touching.

Ill investigate and share what I find in case its useful to Night Raven as well.

This is interesting to me, although my problem is with a G&P gearbox.

Its a G&P replacement box in a CA gun, and so its using CA internals.  When I switch to safe, the trigger lock moves but somehow isnt lining up with the trigger.  But the selector plate problem is the same...its still somehow firing even though the contacts shouldnt be touching.

Ill investigate and share what I find in case its useful to Night Raven as well.

Just watched that video,... seems like alot just to remove the lower gearbox.

Its a LOT easier on my gun though, its a 1 piece gearbox.  Selector plate issue should be the same though.

Easier than an ICS split gearbox? ...I doubt it :P

i jus had a look at mine, nothing seems wrong with it.

So the selector plate is intact and moving through it's full range?

If the selector plate contact strip (the copper strip at the front) is moving away from the two copper contacts on the gearbox it shouldn't be able to fire in safe... :huh:

Edit; Can you post some pictures?

Easier than an ICS split gearbox? ...I doubt it :P

So the selector plate is intact and moving through it's full range?

If the selector plate contact strip (the copper strip at the front) is moving away from the two copper contacts on the gearbox it shouldn't be able to fire in safe... :huh:

Edit; Can you post some pictures?

Basically, it can move through all it's modes (Safe, Semi and full auto), however, it isn't engaging the safety and cutting the circuit.

The guns for sale now, so if someone experianced buys it, then they'll know what to do.

Archived