Need help with L96 PDI Hop Up and Tightbore

Krash

I posted this in the L96 thread as well but I figure the more exposure the better. Okay, so I have a UTG L96 that I have started to upgrade. First I bought a PDI hop up chamber and a KM 6.03 tightbore. Everything else on the gun is stock and I am shooting with .30g bbs. Well here is the thing, once I got all the pieces put together and tried out the new set up every shot was flat out to about 200+ feet but was way off to the right or it would just fall to the ground as if it had no hop what so ever. I could tell that there wasn't much in the way of a curve, though no matter how I tuned either the hop up or the scope I was getting no where near dead on. I am so frustrated at at this point I am two inches away from buying a whole new gun and giving up on this one. I don't know if it is the parts or my skill on putting it all together or what. Should I buy a new hop up bucking?

Any advice on tuning a PDI hop up and barrel assembly is also most welcome. I have really no idea what I am doing when it comes to airsoft sniper rifles!

I just wanted to get a gun put together that was accurate out to at least 250-300ft and I thought a L96 was the best platform for this. If anyone has any other ideas on a better gun for this job let me know. Though my kit is based around the Royal Marines and I wanted to stay authentic.

-Krash

First off, are you sure the rifle itself is dead level when you are firing. The scope cross hair may be, but unless you have set this set spot on level with the reciever/rail; then you may be holding the rifle over to an angle. If you are leaning the gun right, then the shots will go right. This is a common mistake for newcomers to make and we all learn from experience and hindsight. :P

If this is not the case (please test first).....

Sounds like your hop up assembly is somhow cambered to the right. Have you dismantled it and ensured the HOP rubber sits completely symmetrical in the reciever. Be sure the barrel is somehow not slanted over to the right and is dead level with the scope rail.

If you get this sort of problem, on any system, then it is normally a hop issue. Tackle it by stripping the hop assmebly and ressembling. Often nothing looks wrong, but it sorts it out anyway. <_<

Good Luck ;)

It's very easy to build the L96 hop-up with the barrel twisted.

First thing to do is back the hop right off and take a few shots. If the gun shoots straight with no hop then the hop is, obviously, the cause of the sidespin.

Take the barrel and hop-up out of the gun, squeeze down on the hop lever and see if the hop seems to be applied evenly at the top and not to one side or the other.

right what i did was get a marker draw a line down the centre of the inner barrel this is so you keep it in line while inserting the hop rubber and barrel into pdi hop ,tighten the 2 screws evenly that holds the barrel in the hop up unit ,now look down the barrel and squezze down on the to hop up levers and hopefully you`ll see the dimple of the rubber come through and be in center once this is acheived put gun back together one important thing when screwing the mag release onto barrel as this also screws into the hop up unit make sure this is centre as if this is of the the left or right slightly then your shots will go left or right tooooo

hope this helps

I will give all of this a try soon as I get back from the shoot I am on. In the event that I can't get this thing to work and I get fed up, is there any other spring sniper rifles that you guys can recommend to make my 300ft shot? I was thinking of going after a JG Bar or possibly something with a V hop. Anyway have to make sure it is un-fixable first!

-Krash

Archived