What do you guys think of my setup?

0nslaught

alright, so i just pre-ordered the orange box(HL2, HL2 Episode 1,2, Portal, TF2) :P and i thought to myself, boy i better update my specs.

Right now i have:

AMD 3700

Nvidia 7800 GT 256 MB

Corsair XMS 1 GB

DFI NF4 UT Mobo

OCZ 520W power supply

those are the tech specs, since thats all that matters for me right now.

a few days ago i downloaded World in Conflict demo, and MOH: Airborne demo. when i first tried world in conflict with all settings on high, i was getting 1 and 2 frames per second. i set the visual settings to the lowest and i was getting 10-20 frames per second...if you guys dont know this game, check it out on google or ign. its a RTS game, the graphics are pretty crazy for an RTS but they dont look spectacular. i thought my specs were fine, it was just a bit over the minimum requirements. i dont know why the frame rates were so horrible, maybe its because of the huge world and i need more ram, i dont know. i tried to play MOH Airborne with high settings on, and it was alright. in some scenes the frames were dropping to around 10 or so, but most of the time it was around 20-30. pretty bad IMO <_<

since i already purchased the orange box, and my pc needs a little update so it can run new games, i wanted you guys to check out my new upgrade plan and tell me what you think.

either an AMD 4000, or an FX-60. i cant find an FX-60 anywhere unless its like 600+. dont know, leaning more toward the 4000 probably, but how is that proc? i know its pretty old, socket 939 <_<:P but hey, dont want to reformat and switch to am2 or intel or something.

so ya, AMD 4000 or FX-60

Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB

Corsair XMS 2gb or Kingston HyperX 2gb

same mobo, DFI NF4 UT

same PSU, OCZ 520W

most likely, for the proc i will go with the AMD 4000. but im have trouble deciding on which manufact. to get for the 8800.

im stuck between these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150215

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143092

the XFX has a slightly higher clock speed, not sure if that will matter at all. what do you guys think? what card would you guys choose?

as for ram, right now im using a corsair XMS 1 gb. i was wondering, would it work if i got a kingston hyperX ram module and combined it with my corsair? would that work?

TBH, I don't see why you would need to upgrade for the orange box. How well does it run lost coast on max setting?

40 FPS is probably the lowest it will ever go, i cant remember. the highest is like 200 but that only happens sometimes. avg. fps is like 80-100

ya, your probably right. but i not only want to upgrade for orange box, im interested in MOH Airborne and Crysis too.

Archived