Viper LA Special Forces Vest

Stuey

Hi guys,

I some adivce. I want to get a vest before my next skirmish in a week or so because I discovered last Saturday that carrying 6 midcaps in DPM pockets is not very good as they are really slow to get in and out and I lose track of how many full mags I have left.

I was chatting to this kid who had a Viper LA Special Forces vest and he said it was really good, OK quality and let him carry all his gear.

This vest.

I was interested and tried to fit one of my AK47 mags into a pouch. It fit in (I didn't think it would) but I forgot to check whether the flap would close.

Does anyone have one of these vests who can check for me? :)

I've read a couple of reviews which have stated that the vest is great for beginners and good value too, but I know that a lot of experiences airsofters look down on Viper. Is this vest good enough quality to be skirmished with?

It would be perfect for me because I could carry all of my mags (6) and have room for a loader and BBs.

If it isn't, can someone recommend a vest for under £50? I'm a bit lost.

Thanks,

Stu

Well I have one and I think it's a pretty good vest, especially for the price! I got it as a newbie and it served me well for around 1 and a half years until I moved onto modular goodness.

I don't have any AK mags to try it out unfortunetly, but if you double stack them they are usually tight enough to hold themselves in.

It can fit an AK mag rather snugly, but the flap will not close with long AK mags. It also can't double-stack them IIRC.

For the record, it holds 6 G36 or AK47 size mags, 12 M14/M4 mags, 18 MP5 size mags. If you get the viper vest, have the zip replaced ASAP. The one on mine never closed up properly and when it broke the replacement zip was a hundred times better.

A decent alternative IMO is to start modular with a Viper VMS belt, AK mag pouch, and a canteen pouch. Then 1 or 2 pistol mag pouches that can be fitted onto the molle loops on the side of the VMS AK pouches. The canteen pouch can hold a bottle of bb's easy as well as a few other things, the AK pouch holds all 6 mags, and the pistol pouches hold pistol mag tyope speedloaders as well as smoke grenades quite well.

From here the VMS belt, AK pouch, water bottle pouch, and 2 pistol mag pouches are £37 before postage.

The advantage of this system is that it can later be modifed with different pouches and for airsofting purposes it'll do the job. But then so will the Viper vest. Set it up right and all the mags are on the same side, meaning you don't have to fumble around switching hands to reach different sides when reloading.

Right thanks guys sorry for not replying sooner I've not been able to get to a PC.

So hang on, Bauer you're saying that the pouch flaps won't close with the full-size AK47 mags? I knew you couldn't double stack them (they're far to big for that) but I did expect to be able to get at least 1 in.

Oh and I've heard about the zip, thanks for clearing that up.

Cheers for the feedback Edmiles, and boxmag that second vest looks great but it's in black - not great for woodland! Know where you can get it in green or DPM?

Keep suggestions coming guys!

Stu

Oh, it might still do the job for you, you'll just have to remember to put the mags in the right way, IE all facing the same way on one side. It seems that either way around with the curve facing the zip is best, though not perfect. The flaps might not fully cover the mag's end, but they're not going to fall out as far as I can see. But for holding AK mags there are better options.

Right-o thanks for the advice.

I had previously steered clear of Viper and Web-tex gear, but having asked around my local skirmish site it appears that most people are perfectly happy with it, and it's just a few guys who have had a bad experience or are geardo Blackhawk MOLLE nuts (no offence to anyone of that persuasion :)).

Is there any difference in quality between the two brands?

I already have two CombatKit double AK47 mag pouches on the way, so maybe this with one of these?

And then whatever utility, radio pouches etc. I want to get?

Stu

Archived