laptop Woes...

MDK_Marshal

Okay. A wee while abck i got myself a new (well, old) laptop. I've been tinkering with it for a while, and have finaly slapped A customised version of XP onto it.

The thing is old enough that it has a single USB port, and that's USB 1.1 - so, slow.

I got a PCMCIA card from ebay to give me two USB 2.0 ports, but it seems to not want to work properly. Some devices it recognises, and some, like my USB stock and USB Wifi dongle, it doesn't.

It's not jstu the types of hardware, though, as my MP3 player, USB CD drive, USB to Ethernet dognle and various other doodads work fine. I'm really only after the wifi, as transfer speeds arent of a huge concern to me with the USB stick.

It's got me stumped, I must say. It's not power (PCMCIA card is being run form my big beefy main PC, no joy), the hardware works fine in the USB 1.1 slot and my Main PC, and, as I said, some other things work fine in it.

I've had a go at reinstalling the drivers, with no success so far. Anyone got any clue as to what could help?

Because I want to connect the USB to Ethernet to it as well, if possible. and i want it flush within the case, which i can do with the USB card - and a bit of cutting :P

Working wifi card is tempting though....

Archived