Silencing a gun, not silencer.

bronney

Hey people,

I am going to rip open my TM G36C gearbox tonite and I think while I'm at it, let's do some silencing at the same time.

When I fire my gun, two of the loudest sound comes from the gearbox, and the dis-engaged motor snapping back to the grip. What I want to silent tonite is the motor flinging back to the grip (motor holder).

I am thinking using some cleaning foam block cut to small size and put a piece on both sides on the motor. However, I am worried would this be bad if the motor gets hot? Have anyone used any other materials for silencing? And how do you go about silencing the gearbox? Let's share some ideas :) Thanks.

I am thinking using some cleaning foam block cut to small size and put a piece on both sides on the motor.  However, I am worried would this be bad if the motor gets hot?  Have anyone used any other materials for silencing?  And how do you go about silencing the gearbox?  Let's share some ideas :)  Thanks.

Well... I haven't personally tried it yet, but dynamat was recommended to me. I just got a metal body for my sg1 & I'm going to try it out. There's also a few new products on the market today including Quiet Coat which supposedly works better, but it's sprayed on.. I'm not sure how that would work out.. (how thick you need to spray it etc.)

I have used accumat, same thing as dynamat. I covered every milimeter in the clamshell of my p90. It did quiet it down some but not as much as I expected. The gearbox touches the clamshell in some spots preventing the total isolation of the sound.

The motor will get hot covering it with foam. A hot motor will get weaker as the magnets lose power when heated. I would avoid overheating the motor.

You might try just replacing some parts instead of adding acoustic foam and stuff of that nature. First, get a silent piston head/cylinder head combo. Then, replace the motor with a Systema. I've noticed that the Systema Hi-Speed motor is nowhere near as loud as the stock Classic Army EG1000 clone.

Thanks people.  Will try out the quiet heads first before adding any foam.  Making stuff hot is not worth it.

I'll be surprised if there's any room on the side of the motor that you can add foam in. But like people said, you shouldn't do it because it traps heat inside. I agree the best way to go is to replace the parts that tend to make noise with higher quality parts that make less noise.

Archived