Metal Hop Up vs A Plastivc one?

I have seen a couple of metal hop up chambers for my G3 and I was just wondering, what does a metal chamber have that a plastic one wouldn't? :huh: Maybe tighter seal? I really dont know....

Thanks

AEG hop units don't really have a "seal", so that shouldn't come into it.

From what I've read, metal hop units are reputed to be of a higher "quality", so they should be manufactured to better tolerances, and hence work more predictably (and not wind-off), or have "odd" effects on the bb.

Having said that, even though I have a metal G&P hop ready to go in my ARMY R85, I've left the original plastic unit in there because it works so well...

...whereas I've dropped the DBoys metal hop straight out of my SPR and replaced it with a metal CA unit, because it didn't behave (it performs spot on now with the CA hop in place).

The single biggest difference I consistently experience is the improvement gained by swapping out the original hop rubber for a Guarder clear silicone replacement...

...I have them in everything (that they'll fit in).

Oh, and I've never (knowingly) broken a bb in the hop or barrel.

can't say i've ever broken a hop unit. I'm thinking you'd have to do something pretty wrong to do that.

I'm also not sure the metal ones would be better tollerance either UNLESS they are CNC machined. All the ones i've seen are just cast, and in my experiance plastic moulds better than metal casts

The pro-win m4 hops do ;)

Yeh, true.

...I'm also not sure the metal ones would be better tollerance either UNLESS they are CNC machined...

See above.

:D

...All the ones i've seen are just cast, and in my experiance plastic moulds better than metal casts

I think the metal ones are better tolerance purely because they are made by better quality manufacturers (historically), and hence are just all round better (as a rule of thumb)...

...not saying plastic ones can't be made well (hence comments regarding the good ARMY hop), or that metal can't be made badly (hence comments about the less good DBoys hop).

;)

Archived