VFC AKS74UN upgrade help

0nslaught

I was about to buy a kalash rk01 a while ago, but what the heck, might as well go for the aksu from vfc. so after reading around, seems like get some metal bushings, and the vfc should be set.

i have never opened a gearbox before, i was too scared all this time. so im going to try for my first time with a v3 gb. i watched some vids on mechbox and it doesnt look too hard, well for the parts im upgrading anyway.

now, the parts im upgrading are some metal bushings/bearings and maybe a bearing spring guide. simple upgrades right? what do you guys think of those parts going into a VFC AK gearbox?

i remember there was something about, bearings being better for 400+ fps? and bushings for 300+ fps? or was it the other way around? or does it not matter at all.

what are some good bearings/bushings? the Kanzen 7mm's look interesting, but i cant find them in the US. i can only find them at stores in the UK, like 6mil, will they ship to us?

what are some good brands? hows prometheus? or modify?

anyway for the bearing spring guide, i was thinking prometheus. does anyone have any experience with prome or some other good company?

btw the battery im going to be using is a Elite 9.6v 2200mAh battery, with .2g bb's. with those upgrades, how will the gearbox hold up?

The Elite 2200mAh cells will not fit in 9.6v iirc ( if the battery space is the same as my VFC AKSU )

6mm bearings should be fine to 350fps but anything over that i would say go with bushings

7mm and 8mm gearbox's i have no experience of so can not comment

A bearing spring guide while not adding too much does help

As for brands prometheus / modify / systema all the normal suspects

As for how it will hold up, this is a V3 gearbox so does not imho suffer from all the problems that plaque the V2 GB's

Also imho the stock wireloom that comes with the VFC AK's is poor, i kepted my stock for 9 months before swaping it out for some nice 16awg high silcon wire and a nice deans ultra connector :)

Ok, here's the deal.

Out of the box the VFC AK's purr like kittens.

If you want to upgrade the box for durabilities sake before waiting for it to explode here is what i recommend..

1. 7mm ball bearings are FINE up to about 400 fps. After that they become suspect. Ive never had a problem at those velocity levels but you MUST ensure that you're using a good quality ball bearing. CA makes the worse ball bearings known to man. Lately ive had alot of success with Modify Steel 7mm ball bearings. They're well shielded and thus far they're holding up GREAT at 23 rps, 350 fps and 30k rounds.

2. A quality ball bearing spring guide is definitely recommended as there is NO ball bearing anywhere in the spring assembly on the VFC AK's. I recommend either prometheus or guarder. Having said this, you may get slightly higher velocities than expected due to the fact that VFC uses a spacer inside of the piston thats rather thick.

3. The autoshim system is actually halfway decent up to about 350 fps. I had originally feared i was going to have massive problems with it running at the speed that i am but thus far the gears havent self destructed. Check the shimming under the spur gear, it was too high for my personal tastes.

4. The clear pistons have been decent performers. I honestly DONT trust them but for the purposes of testing i figured i would go ahead and see how long they last. They come with the 2nd tooth removed so thats a boon right there. If you dont trust it, swap it out with your favorite brand of piston.

5. LOCKTITE THE PISTON HEAD RIGHT AWAY. VFC does NOT locktite their piston heads and i have had one come undone mid burst...long story short the result was catastrophic and i had to throw out quite a few parts.

6. I was very unhappy with the stock airseal nozzle. It was very loose on the cylinder head. I replaced it with a guarder AK nozzle and compression has been fantastic.

Now, having said all of this, honestly man, you dont NEED any of it. Its only what i would personally do to my own guns. In stock configuration the gun should last way more than 50k rounds even with the nylon bearings. I would STRONGLY recommend you NOT exceed 8.4 volts. Im running 23 rps on an 8.4 volt 2000 mah elite cell battery. With a 9.6 im pushing 28, way too fast for me.

You're going to love the gun. VFC AK's are some of the best performing airsoft guns out there.

Interesting stuff Magzs, thanks for the info apex.

So heres what my shopping cart looks like

VFC AKS74UN DX Ver. 2

Modify 7mm Bearings

Prometheus bearing spring guide

Elite 8.4v 2000mAh battery

But magzs, whats this locktite thing you were mentioning? can you buy this at a hardware store? where exactly do u apply this stuff? i have never opened a gearbox before, so im not too familiar with parts, but i know just enough to fiddle with it.

http://airsoftskirmish.co.uk/images/syalumpistonhead.jpg

can u say where u applied the locktite from that pic?

thanks

Ya, you can buy lock tight at the hardware store. It usaully comes in little dropper bottles. You see the bearings on the right side of that pic? Those are held down by a small philips head screw, that's where you apply the locktite.

You might want to be careful with the 8.4 2000 Mah batteries, those cells are long. It will probaly fit, but you might want to double check. The 2000 mah is 1.67in. and the 2200 is 1.32in long each.

Apex, does the 9.6 2200 not fit due to diameter or length?

If you want to OnSlaught, you could go with a Elite Cell 9.6 1500 battery. I have one in my VFC and it lasts me a whole day of skirmishing and the ROF is really nice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nuRjdy26FUw

I made a video for a guy previously, and it seems to fit well in this thread as well.

DP

They are fine the way they are. I only advise opening them up if you're really anal about your internals and you want to bulletproof it at least statistically speaking. Installing bearings is generally a durability upgrade but if done improperly it could have negative effects.

The 8.4 volt 2000mah elite celled battery will fit just fine, ive been using one in mine for months.

Like previous posters already said, locktite the phillips head screw that secures the piston head to the piston. Use red locktite.

Ya, you can buy lock tight at the hardware store. It usaully comes in little dropper bottles. You see the bearings on the right side of that pic? Those are held down by a small philips head screw, that's where you apply the locktite.

You might want to be careful with the 8.4 2000 Mah batteries, those cells are long. It will probaly fit, but you might want to double check. The 2000 mah is 1.67in. and the 2200 is 1.32in long each.

Apex, does the 9.6 2200 not fit due to diameter or length?

If you want to OnSlaught, you could go with a Elite Cell 9.6 1500 battery. I have one in my VFC and it lasts me a whole day of skirmishing and the ROF is really nice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nuRjdy26FUw

I made a video for a guy previously, and it seems to fit well in this thread as well.

DP

great, ill see what i can find at ace or something. hopefully find some red locktite that magzs is talking about

2000mAh will fit, i saw a picture of someone with the exact battery in a vfc krinkov :)

anyway, sorry but i acc. put 2200mAh, i meant 2000. the long thin one that looks like a AA, not the thick stubby one. i dont think that will fit, i think its too fat.

Ya i was thinking of 1500mAh, its alot cheaper too. and hey, im the guy that messaged you on that video. asking you about cheapbatterypacks and how your battery was setup, huh..what a coincidence.

hum, so then stock should be fine? maybe i should just not mess with the GB...perhaps upgrade it in the future or something.

Onslaught, dont take this the wrong way brother but i honestly would NOT attempt to install these parts unless you have ZERO fear of screwing it up.

I fully advocate and support peoples desires to learn the insides of their mechboxes but i will not give them false illusions that its as easy as pie.

The 8.4 volt 2000 mah 4/5 sized pack at cheapbatterypacks.com is fantastic. You cannot go wrong with it.

Ya i was thinking of 1500mAh, its alot cheaper too. and hey, im the guy that messaged you on that video. asking you about cheapbatterypacks and how your battery was setup, huh..what a coincidence.

:blink:

Cool :P

I allmost bought a 9.6 2200, glad I didn't. I thought it might be alittle to fat.

DP

Onslaught, dont take this the wrong way brother but i honestly would NOT attempt to install these parts unless you have ZERO fear of screwing it up.

I fully advocate and support peoples desires to learn the insides of their mechboxes but i will not give them false illusions that its as easy as pie.

The 8.4 volt 2000 mah 4/5 sized pack at cheapbatterypacks.com is fantastic. You cannot go wrong with it.

Hum, ya that video on mechbox.com was good and all, but it got pretty complicated when the guy started taking out the gears. replacing the spring guide seems simple enough though. I think i should hold off on upgrading right when i get it, but perhaps in the future ill open up the GB.

probably get some Modify bearings and a prometheus spring guide.

Archived