Fill valve o-rings, the "outside" once

lukvdh

Hi,

I'm looking (seems I'm doing that for ages....) for those very little o-rings you can find on the outside of fill-in valves (not all brands use them, but KSC and KJW, to name two) do).

I found this webpage (http://www.apoh.net/mods/seals4sale.html) about such product, but the email-address and URLs are no longer valid, so this "business" seems to be gone.

Does anyone know where I could buy these little o-rings?

I got some reactions from people who tell me to take the o-rings from (empty) BIC throw-away-lighters. Those seem to be usable for the INside o-rings on many fill-in valves, but not for the outside ones.

Thanks in advance for usable tips.

Do you mean an o-ring inside the "well" of the fill-valve, around the little stem in the middle? If so, I have used 1/32" ID, 3/32" OD silicon o-rings from McMaster-Carr; here is the page on their website. You will have to stretch them a bit to get them over the inner fill-stem, but they work the trick nicely.

I have no idea what shipping would be to Belgium, however - this may not work for you at all. I figured it wouldn't hurt to send the suggestion your way, though.

-Tuthmose

I put one on the end of a sharp Starrett scribe. I rolled the ring all the way up the shaft, and left it there for a bit.

I then put the point of the scribe very gently into the hole of the fill stem, more to hold it in place rather than using any pressure. Using another scribe that had a dull tip (so as not to damage the o-ring), I then rolled the o-ring down the scribe and over the fill stem. It can be a fiddly pain-in-the-butt, but I got it after a bit.

The final step was pressing an empty can of green gas over the nozzle like I would to fill the mag, so the can's nozzle seated the o-ring evenly at the proper depth.

I tried with the next size up, because the 3/32" were so tiny and fiddly, but they were too big to fit in the "well" around the fill stem. I have also used the tiny o-rings used to hold 16 guage tusk and spike earrings in place (I have three 16g's in my right ear, so I've got a lot lying around). They also were too large as well, though I got them to fit by trimming their outer diameter with a razor. Talk about fiddly, though! <_<

-Tuthmose

I've been told that the oring in the fill valve well of a refillable cigarette lighter is the trick. They have those refillable lighters at my local Autozone, oddly enough. But my local Wal-Mart doesn't have them.

I never got around to trying, but I had numerous folks tell me that was the way to go.

I've been told that the oring in the fill valve well of a refillable cigarette lighter is the trick. They have those refillable lighters at my local Autozone, oddly enough. But my local Wal-Mart doesn't have them.

I never got around to trying, but I had numerous folks tell me that was the way to go.

Sounds interesting, thanks for the tip. I'll have a look at refilable lighters (if I find those, I think I haven't seen those for ages).

Archived