Midcaps not feeding

midnight_sailor

I've got 5 new MAG ak74 midcaps, all of which don't feed a single bb into my gun. I only fill the mags to about 80 out of its 100 round capacity, and I've already tried the basic fixes to no avail. Filling the mags up and emptying straight up into the air shoots them a couple feet into the air, meaning there should be plenty of strength in the spring. Lubing the mags hasn't worked, and I've already installed a sector clip into the gearbox just in case, which still doesn't help. I've tested with some hi caps that I have, and they feed perfectly, so I think that eliminates any gearbox problems. Hop is all the way off, so no problem there. I don't know how to disassemble the mags, so I haven't really messed around with them that much.

Any tips or ideas on how to get them working? I'm tired of hi caps and never want to use them again, so I really want to get these working. I also spent days fixing up the gearbox and finally got it working, only to get stuck at this point. Please help.

The mags fit in rock solid and cannot be pushed up further into the magwell. After investigating this potential problem with the feed tube, I find that inserting the mag and taking it out without shooting usually leads to only 1 or 2 bb's dropping out, whereas a full feed tube needs 4 bbs to reach all the way up to the nozzle. Sometimes 4 got through, which led to 1 bb actually getting shot out, but nothing after that. I'm not sure if this helps or not, and I'm not sure how I would go about fixing it if it were the problem.

The mags fit in rock solid and cannot be pushed up further into the magwell. After investigating this potential problem with the feed tube, I find that inserting the mag and taking it out without shooting usually leads to only 1 or 2 bb's dropping out, whereas a full feed tube needs 4 bbs to reach all the way up to the nozzle. Sometimes 4 got through, which led to 1 bb actually getting shot out, but nothing after that. I'm not sure if this helps or not, and I'm not sure how I would go about fixing it if it were the problem.

If your springs are strong, then its gotta be a problem with the mag and feed nozzle not meshing together correctly. If 4 sometimes feed but you are only able to get 1 shot off, it really sounds like that the hop up chamber isnt getting enough pressure on the bb stopper of the magazine.

In the morning ill take a look at my mags and a spare hop up...at the moment all i can think of to do is carefully cut off a little bit of the bb stopper spring so it would be disengaged easier. This is kinda touch and go because if you take too much off then it wont work effectively and bbs will always be shooting out of the magazine when you dont want them to.

After some quick testing using a pen tube to connect the mags and the hop unit, I can conclude that the problem is indeed with a feed tube that is too short to engage the lever on the mag. Many thanks to you aznconverter!

Now all I have to do is figure out a way to reliably extend the feed tube...

Awesome! JB welding a piece of that pen to the chamber maybe? No hassle job would be just to get an aftermarket hop up.

Also, what brand is your gun? Stock hop up chamber?

Archived