Does the brand name of a spring matter?

jond36

I am doing some spring shopping. Do some springs tend to have a worse compression rate then others.

I.E. One spring would drop 50 FPS over a one month period where as another would only drop 5 FPS over a year.

Any good ones or bad ones to look out for?

I wouldn't say that the brand of spring matters that much unless you feel that you absolutely must brag that it is "full systema internals" in your gun. Although the only "cheap" brand I have any real experience with is element, but I've had no issues with their springs (=

I personally like madbull springs, I do the the tech work for my teammates and other teams and i keep in stock a few springs around my tech desk, with gaurder and stuff, i would pop in a random spring and not know the FPS until its all together which sucks cause it might be to low or too high.

With madbull you can pretty much guess the FPS of the spring by taking a look at its coloration.

Also i have a few spare V2 gearboxes laying around as well, I can just take a look at thegearbox and seeing the spring from the outside, i can pretty much guess about how much its shooting at.

So madbull for the win.

I personally like madbull springs, I do the the tech work for my teammates and other teams and i keep in stock a few springs around my tech desk, with gaurder and stuff, i would pop in a random spring and not know the FPS until its all together which sucks cause it might be to low or too high.

With madbull you can pretty much guess the FPS of the spring by taking a look at its coloration.

Also i have a few spare V2 gearboxes laying around as well, I can just take a look at thegearbox and seeing the spring from the outside, i can pretty much guess about how much its shooting at.

So madbull for the win.

So madbull for the win.

Repetition using the rule of three eh? =], personally i would swing towards guarder, merely as they don't drop much fps at all, but this coloured madbull thing sounds like a good plan if you have many gearboxes lying around... especially v2 gearboxes so you can see from the outside...

If I were looking for good springs I would plump for :

Modify

Madbull

Guarder

Prometheus

In that order, Modify and Madbull are very consistent and seem to hold their FPS well even under a lot of pre-compression, Guarder springs are somewhat middle of the road. I rank Prometheus as my least favourite purely because the coating comes off in use and I don't like cleaning metal sparkles out of the gearbox, something that I am yet to see with the Madbull springs.

Springs I would avoid

Systema

Hurricane

PDI

Element

Systema is overpriced and both springs are horribly inconsistent, not to mention they have a tendency to snap. Now, PDI are actually very good springs, but their rating system and quality control leaves a little to be desired. I've installed springs that have had literally no FPS variance, but not at the FPS I would have expected. More trouble than they are worth. Element springs are a little hit and miss, consistent and cheap but no idea on how long they'll last and with reports of snapping out there I would only use one if I needed to.

I have always recommended Guarder springs and have used Madbull and Modify springs in the past as replacements when I cant get the Guarder Spring I want.

I've kept the recipe for ~400 FPS with Guarder springs and it's held true in every gun I've done so far with the exception of my G&P M16A4 (more on that later). Basically a Guarder SP110 + Tightbore + Bearing Spring Guide + Good compression = ~395 FPS w/ .20's.

My M16A4 must have been a fluke, I originally purchased a Guarder SP120 knowing that I wouldnt be running the ideal set up right away. Chronoed at 435 w/ AE .25's 0.o , dropped down to an SP110, 405 w/ AE .25's. Then an SP100 and it chronoed at 365 w/ .25's. Something between the metal air nozzle and the King Arms hop up unit just made that gun seal extraordinarily well.

Guarder springs remain my favorite though, cheap, effective and very consistent. The Modify springs are ok, not as consistent as I'd like and the same goes with Madbull. I had a Madbull M110 chrono at 350 FPS with bearing spring guide + tightbore and an excellent seal. Never figured out what the issue was, so I swapped it to a Modify M120. Still have to Chrono it though.

I am doing some spring shopping. Do some springs tend to have a worse compression rate then others.

I.E. One spring would drop 50 FPS over a one month period where as another would only drop 5 FPS over a year.

Any good ones or bad ones to look out for?

So far, I find Prometheus springs are the best. They always stay straight. Even Systema springs become crooked when I remove them from mechboxes.

PDI and G&G are not bad either.

Archived