VFC KRINKOV PDW Review

VFC KRINKOV PDW (AKS-74U) REVIEW

PROS:

-Top notch external quality

-Couldn't ask more from a stock gearbox

-Great package, AKS-74U with blowback +Rail system that cant be found easily and is expensive.

CONS:

-Stopping the bolt movement may damage the gun

-Loose front set pin

Ok, so this is the first review I have ever written so bear with me for any mistakes.

I have ordered this from WGC along with 3 more black VFC AK-74 mags, and I ordered the VFC ones because I was completely disappointed with the Classic army ones, that in both of them the magazine lip broke on their first game with my previous CQB AEG (AKS-74U from CYMA).

The Krinkov PDW, Or SOPMOD AK as written on the box of the gun, is a copy of the real AKS-74u with Izshmash logos, but with an aluminum RIS handguard system.

Box Contents:

-Krinkov PDW

-Black AK-74 Magazine

-VFC Keychain (That i lost...)

-Replacement wire for blowback mechanism

-Instruction manual

-VFC Catalogue

So, into the review.

Taking this gun out of the box (That i dont have pictures off because i was leaving for my summer home in about an hour after it arrived! Yes I was one lucky M*F* because i would be playing with this instead of my CYMA AKS-74u during my vacations. And when i go back home too of course) felt as solid as rock with a trigger (And the rest a gun has). I was really, really satisfied comparing it to a CYMA, a DBOYS, and a Classic Army i once picked up in a shop. They say the DBOYS and CYMA are full steel. This feels much better than any of the other two. Maybe its from Cryptonite? The finish is mat black, and not shiny at all, the way i prefer it, and the paint does not scratch easily at all (well I had to bump the flashider on a wall to get a small scratch, that isnt even visible from 2 or more meters).

-Stock

The stock can fold by pushing the button shown in the picture. It does not wobble at all, folded or not, but it does move up and down slightly if you push it when folded.

<PICTURE>

-Body

Mine was not a DX version or anything, so it only has a serial number on the receiver of the gun. As you can see below, with the Izshmash triangle and arrow logo.

<PICTURE>

The charging handle, can only be pulled halfway because blowback is activated. It does have a little right/left play (No wobble, only when you push it). Here you can adjust the Hop-Up, as with all AKs.

<PICTURE>

The selector switch locks solidly on every position except Safe, where it moves really slightly. Moving it to any position gives a really nice click.

<PICTURE>

Here are the sights. The markings are painted orange, and are flip up, Π for close quarters and 4-5 for 400 to 500 meters. Not that this does apply to airsoft or you will be getting really accurate shots by using them...

<PICTURE>

The receiver cover can be opened by pushing a button, here you can install a mini-type battery, up to 10 cells can fit snugly here. The receiver cover actually has a stopper, preventing it from opening up to a certain point by itself, unlike other AKS-74u models, that the spring would pop out if it opens really fast. The fuse is also easily accessible and its a standard car one, like all VFC AEGs.

<PICTURE>

The magazine makes a nice sound when locked in the magazine well, and has ZERO wobble, unlike many AKs in the market. The magazine release is solid and hard to press, and makes a nice sound when released.

<PICTURE>

-Front Set

The RIS system looks good, and has a visible gas tube, well, only half of it, so if you look at it from below, the battery is visible. I am using a firefox 9.6v and it stands out from some viewpoints, so i am going to wrap it up in black tape, so it will look like a gas block.

<PICTURE>

The whole front assembly can be taken off by taking this pin out. Note that you will have to take apart the RIS system. The pin can be taken off real easily, and will fall out of the gun with some fight, so what i did was secure it in with a small piece of paper, now i don't have to worry about it falling out of my gun during intense fights.

<PICTURE>

The front sight is extremely sturdy, unlike other AKS-74u models, where it will wobble either from the start, or after some use. There is also the front sling mount, where you can attach a Hook-type AK sling. Note that in many AK slings, the both ends are the same, and won't do with AKS-74u, where the front sling mount is ring type.

<PICTURE>

The flashider is screwed clockwise onto a Russian muzzle adapter, which is then screwed onto regular 14mm CCW threads. There is a little pin that you have to push back in order to unscrew the flashider. As you can see, the barrel does not reach up to the end of the flashider, and I am thinking of replacing it for a Prometheus 285mm length, (I think this one is 260mm, not quite sure) 6.03mm inner diameter one.

<PICTURE>

PERFORMANCE

-Version 3 Gearbox: That's a regular V3, with a hole on the right side, that its use will be explained later. Note that many CYMA clones without blowback, also have this hole, so it may be possible to make their bolts blowback too. (Will see into this when I get back home)

-7mm Plastic/Nylon Bearings: Since the gun fires at 300-330 FPS, swapping those out won't be necessary for like a year...

-FPS: 300-330, will update this once I get chrono readings.

-The BLOT Blowback system

Nothing really hard to understand here, the system is simple. There is a hole on the right side of the gearbox, just where the piston travels. Now there is a wire thing attached to the charging handle / Bolt, and the other end of it goes into that hole. When you fire, the piston goes back and then forth on normal AEGs. The only difference with this one is when the piston goes back, it also pulls the wire attached to the bolt, and therefore pulling the bolt too, then the bolt goes forward again. Note that when blowback is activated the charging handle can only move 5cm back. Disabling the blowback (Taking out the wire) will make it like many other AKs, being able to pull it all the way back. This is a really nice and simple system, but due to its design, forcefully stopping the bolt movement, may result in damaged piston or stripped gears, or blown fuse if you are lucky. In one game I accidentally stopped the bolt, but I heard a weird sound and released the trigger immediately, and no damage. Not even blown fuse.

<PICTURE>

I haven't opened the Gearbox yet, and I won't until I return home, because I don't have any tools, shims, grease and 7mm metal bearings that I would really want to use when I open it. Also I haven't measured the FPS yet, because in all 3 games I went to, none had a chronograph, so I will also do this when back home. I will edit this post with additional information then.

Overall i am really satisfied with this AEG, couldn't have asked more. My plans are getting it a 6.03 barrel and a prometheus regular bucking, bumping the gun up to about 330-340, under the 350 FPS mark that is the limit for CQB here. Also a real steel sling, kobra red dot, and a canvas drop case would be perfect but i am having a real hard time finding stocks on the red dot and the case in EU shops.

I will update this post with pictures in a 1-2 days, because the ones i had were in low light and wasnt really satisfied with them. Here are some until i get better ones. I have attached a King Arms grip that wobbles A LOT and i wouldnt suggest getting.

Edited by Atsalakotos
  • 1 month later...