Cobra PMR Radios

Stealthbomber

Simple question but I'll give you the big story first...

I got a pair of Cobra (no idea what model) PMR radios years ago and they've always been fine. Good range, clear and easy to use.

They came with a pair of cheapo earbud/mic gizmos which were, on the other hand, total junk.

I got myself a throat mic which, again by pure luck, has always worked pretty well.

Alas, when I bought it I found that it was fitted with a plug that wasn't compatible with the socket on my Cobra radios so I chopped the connector off the headset that came with the radios and attached it to the throat mic.

Job's a gun 'un.

Fast forward 5 years and the cheap, thin, cable that I grafted onto my throat mic is starting to look rather sorry for itself and needs replacing, which is where I'm running into a bit of a problem....

The connector on my radio (the one that fits my radio) is one of those standard-looking 2-pin jobbies consisting of a mono 3.5mm jack and a 2.5mm jack spaced 10mm apart.

For comparison, the one originally fitted to the throat mic is very similar but the pins are closer together so it won't fit my radio.

Question (finally) is this: Anybody know for sure what my radios are actually compatible with?

I know there are various standards such as Kenwood, Motorola etc but I can't seem to find anything that tells me, for sure, what typ of connectors my Cobra radios have.

THIS picture (blagged from EBB, thanks) would seem to suggest that the Icom standard is the wider of the two types similar to what I need but I could really do with somebody confirming that an Icom-style plug IS definitely what I need, with pins 10mm apart.

Right, with the main part out of the way, I also have a couple more questions...

I assume that if I buy one of those PTTs from EBB, fitted with the appropriate connector for my radio, I'd be able to then fit any military compatible headset to it, right?

Next question would be, in that case, does anybody know where I can buy a military-style plug to fit to my throat mic so I could also make that work with the mil-spec PTT?

Great stuff, thanks for that fellas. :)

Looking for the Nexus mil-spec connectors, I'm buggered if I can see them easily available anywhere.

I have seen them on a couple of aviation websites but they cost more than £10 each.

Hard to justify charging £10 for one when I can buy a gold-plated 6.3mm stereo jack for £2.

:(

Archived