Moveable Bolt

Jules

I've been thinking for a while on ways to possibly hook up a system that would mimic the charging handle moving back the "bolt" on Tokyo Marui Armalites.

I'm really not happy with the way it's done on the CA version, the bolt is just a thin peice of metal that just stays there, the charging handle does nothing. Worse, it's not even a complete piece, about a 3rd is cut off to allow hop-up access. (see picture.)

bolt4ba.jpg

I've taken the M15 apart and it seems there would be just enough room to maybe slide in a Tokyo Marui bolt piece, then hook it up somehow to the charging handle, even with a small piece of wire. Then you could put some sort of spring behind the bolt so that it's not just the charging handle spring that's going to let the bolt snap back.

All that is probably hard to understand, the way I've written it, so I made this (I hope) helpful diagram.

newbolt5ai.jpg

It'd also be nice, in the future, to maybe make a system that would lock the bolt in the rear position, then have the bolt release catch on the left side of the receiver actually have a function.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Most metal bodies don't carry this feature because the metal is thicker and there isn't enough room for it. The Hurricane metal bodies do this but they also modify this area a bit (enough to bother some people). You could do it if you want, but the TM bolt sits on some guide rails which allow it slide back and forth on a set path.

So with a little bit of dremeling, it could be done? Is there a way I could maybe get my hands on the TM pieces or will I have to make them myself? Also, will I have to grind down this area so much that the metal will become easier to break?

It'd also be nice, in the future, to maybe make a system that would lock the bolt in the rear position, then have the bolt release catch on the left side of the receiver actually have a function.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

I like this idea a LOT. It'd be a *badgeress* to do but it'd make adjusting the hop-up much easier and, as you say, it'd give the bolt-release a purpose.

Most metal bodies don't carry this feature because the metal is thicker and there isn't enough room for it. The Hurricane metal bodies do this but they also modify this area a bit (enough to bother some people). You could do it if you want, but the TM bolt sits on some guide rails which allow it slide back and forth on a set path.

Indeed. If only more airsoft guns were built like ICS ones.:P

Right, it'd be a huge pain to do as Hissing Sid said..I can't even imagine a way right now to have the bolt lock back but the charging handle still move forward.

Back on track though, I've taken a look at the ICS and TM exploded diagrams, and it looks like the charging handle is connected right to the top of the bolt piece with two little screws. I wonder if I could just slide those parts in, getting rid of the stock CA charging handle altogether.

It would be awsome but you know that the bolt locks back on it's own right? Ie the charging handle doesn't stick back with it. That would be a minor problem to overcome in your design.

For the purposes of using it to adjust the hop-up that's no big deal though. set it up so the bolt-catch holds the bolt cover and charging handle in a position about an inch back to the user has access to the hop and can press it to release.

Archived