Bankz' Desert Eagle 'SERPA' Build

bankz5152

Hey Guys,

I was looking for materials to make a holster for my MP9 and someone suggested Kydex (a thermoplastic, very malleable when hot), although considering the MP9 hasnt arrived yet I thought I'd have a go making a holster for my Desert Eagle considering there are none to buy!

It came out very well much better than I thought. Took some time to get used to the material and how it behaves. Ive seen people use vaccum sealers so i built one but it didnt work, but it will soon. So i used foam, wood boards, my weight and some G-Clamps. Eventually after around 2 hours with a hot air gun, some kevlar gloves i got the shape I wanted!

Heres some pics -

IMG_9723.jpg

IMG_9736.jpg

IMG_9731.jpg

IMG_9737.jpg

A pic showing how secure it is. Its a full metal Desert Eagle btw. Its nice and tight holds the gun in very solidly yet not so tight you cant draw it quickly. I can draw the desert around the same speed i can draw my 5.7 from a real Serpa.

Needs a little cleaning up, just some light sanding in places but overall im very happy. As a note the 3 small holes you can see are so i can get a screwdriver so i can attached it the the Serpa leg platform.

thanks

Josh

Thanks!

Not for this one at the moment but I could do a written one. Although i'll be making the same thing for my Colonial 5.7 (again no available holsters). Ill also be making speed pouches for my Desert Eagle mags & 5.7 mags to fit on the Serpa.

And if I can get a big enough peice of Kydex ill be doing the exact same for my MP9 where ill deffinately do a 'How To'

If you check Youtube for a How to Make Kydex Knife Sheaths its a pritty much how to guide. Just adapt it for your gun!

In a sense yes but the Kydex doesnt get hot enough to damaged plastic or ABS, once fully supple its hot but not so hot you can touch it.

To get some of the moulded parts like the trigger guard (also acts as trigger 'lock') and refineing the shape so it fits well, I heated the Kydex with a hot air gun (600C) without the gun inside while still supple but cooler I pushed the gun in and moulded by hand using kevlar heat gloves.

The trouble i think id find trying to make something like this for a plastic/ABS gun would be the pressure. To get the first 'mould' I placed it between 2 peices of foam and 2 boards on the outside then stood on it for 5 mins. That could damage parts of a plastic gun.

However the other way round that is to use a vaccum sealer, easy to make. Havnt used mine just yet but I will be to make the MP9 holster. I read online that someone was worried about damaging a gun so it wrapped the gun in a thin sock.

Archived