Super Duper Secret Project Advice

AG1212

Im taking a brake from my sig m4 project for something 10 times more awesome, though Im not disclosing details so nobody steals my ideas!

But I need some help with material choice! Basically what I need is a lower receiver in bull pup config to attach to an ar upper. Material choices in Ireland seems to be limited and I only have experience in wood. Could I maybe use plywood or something? the reason is that it is light and can come with a plastic finsh, but I have no experience using it so I have no idea if I can make it non box like?

If you really have no alternative other than plywood, then go for it. You could plastic impregnate it with varnish, the cheap runny kind. The idea is for the varnish to fill in all the pores of the wood and make it a lot more dent proof. In the interest of making it "non box like" I assume you mean making the components of the custom part out of the simplest flat geometric shapes and stick them together. That won't work with plywood as you'll have to laminate it to get some strength out of it. After lamination it's just a matter of carving out the round shapes you want either by hand or power tools.

Yeah I think plywood is the only way to go here. So I use laminated wood first then coat it with a plastic varnish? I will do two halves of the lower receiver and combine them with screws. I actually need some internal advice so Im going to make a knew thread, thanks for your help!

Mods you can remove this thread!

Archived