Video Camera Recommendations

TheFull9

Right, in a bit of a quandary with regards how to waste carefully allocate this month's pay check (christmas presents obviously ring-fenced within the budget) and since there's no actual games on my local site while I'm on christmas leave, I've decided that buying another gun when I already have at least 2 in almost every major category just isn't what I want right now. Now, of course this is an unusual thing for an airsofter to say, but having considered many, many options with regards new weaponry, I found myself so stuck and unable to decide that I'm just going to leave it until the new year when hopefully I'll be able to make a decision, or something comes out that's so awesome it shoots straight to the top of the wish list.

Anyways, in lieu of a new gun or a bunch of gear, I'm thinking some kind of video device with which to record my antics involving all the airsoft stuff I already have would be a good idea; seeing as right now I only have my phone or my parents old Sony which is only any good for writing straight to mini-DVDs to playback on TV equipment, getting it in to a normal video file for editing/general use on a computer is a major nightmare. Of course I've considered going on to a media tech specific forum to ask, but I'm no audio/video file (sp?), and in my experience members here are incredibly widely learned.

I've had a brief look around at what's on the market but I feel such a noob I doubt what I'd end up buying would likely fit my needs for an appropriate budget, so if anyone here would care to throw down their recommendations they'd all be much appreciated.

Money wise I'd say about £400 would be the upper limit I'm looking to spend, with some lee-way if it turns out to be worth it. Getting anything that doesn't do HD would seem a bad idea in this day and age, and my main priority is good slo-mo capturing, for GBB rifles/pistols and reloads etc, cliché I know but I like it. I appreciate you can only get true hi-speed footage on dedicated equipment, but some of the stuff eHobby and Redwolf did for their FPG videos looked more than good enough to me, so something that can still manage a good quality at high frame rates is what I'm after basically.

Cheers guys

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose if this is for Christmas, then I'm a tad late responding, but a mate of mine uses a GoPro HD Hero for recording his skiing follies. Beautiful little machine. Works wonders. I believe a couple people on here has used one for airsoft vids as well, and they came out very cool. STUNTMAN and Appslapp, I believe. May wanna shoot one of 'em a pm.

There's nothing wrong in using a mini-DVD camera. The problem you're having is porting the footage onto your computer for editing. I edit camera footage as a bit of a hobby. My own cameras are VHS-C and SVHS as they're cheap as chips (It doesn't matter if they get busted during a game), I also port over footage from mini-DVD cameras. What you want is a Capture card. They're often built into TV cards so you can watch TV on your computer (as is mine). They cost around £30 on Ebay. Either that, or get a DVD ripper program. They're often free if you search the internet.

Archived