Primary Arms micro AP + Dytac T1 mounts?

davedawg123

Does anyone know if the Dytac T1 mounts fit the Primary Arms micro AP sights?

Also, are the KA 30mm Larue mounts (LT129/LT150) of good quality? I heard the EBB replicas were pretty crappy (tilted mounting) and was wondering if the KA replicas were any better?

Primary arms also sells American defense mounts for about $50 that work very well, it might be a good alternative to the Dytac. I can also tell you that the primary arms t-1 clones are not all that different from the ACM ones, I know there is an ACM clone out there that can handle recoil, so I'm not all that sure that the primary arms is anything but a PA branded ACM t-1 clone.

I've put mine on a LaRue mount, the AD, and the PA mount, I have another ACm clone t-1 coming in in the next few weeks I can tell you then if there are any major differences.

If you do decide to go with Primary Arms micro dot, go with the Primary Arms mount. The diode in the housing protrudes up a bit, so other brand of lower 1/3 co-witness mounts get obstructed view of the sights. The Primary Arms mount sits a little higher than others, providing a better co-witness.

• 3 weeks later...

I've put mine on a LaRue mount, the AD, and the PA mount, I have another ACm clone t-1 coming in in the next few weeks I can tell you then if there are any major differences.

Did you ever get a chance to compare the PA with the ACM? PA with riser will cost around 2-2.5 times an ACM with riser. While I'd prefer the savings, I also wouldn't want it to fall apart forcing me to spend more to replace it. GBBR recoil isn't anything like RS so I'm hoping it would be okay.

I have a PA M3 and while it's good, I got a decent deal on it making it not that much more than a G&P/ACM. I suppose if I were reasonable, I would just keep the fat M3 over replacing it with a micro...

Sorry I just got it in on Tuesday so this is still just a quick comparison.

As for the ACM mont it's almost exactly identical to the PA mount, however that's about where the similarities end. The ACM mount is higher than the AD mount but is the same height as the LaRue. The glass on the PA is clear, the glass on the ACM t-1 is very blue, the projector on the PA is off on the lower right side keeping it out of the way of the front sight post the ACM is right smack dab in the middle of the bottom and is very much so in the way.

STRONGLY recommend you go ask any and all questions about PA gear over at the AR15.com forums. Marshall (Primary Arms CEO) is about the best customer service guy I've ever seen and will usually respond personally with a very honest answer to any such question within a matter of hours.

That said, I know that the PA Micro is not actually an Aimpoint clone and isn't compatible with a number of those mounts.

Thanks. I've been reading a lot about PA gear at ARFcom and others but was just curious how they compare to the ACM.

The glass on my PA M3 is a bit turquoise. Is the Micro about the same? And how does the brightness compare between the PA and ACM?

Personally, I'd recommend the Vortex Sparc.:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-sparc-red-dot-sight-sprc.html

Size wise, it's about the same as a Aimpoint Micro T-1, compatible with any mount designed for the Aimpoint Micro, comes with it's own set of various mounts (low medium and high) as well as a 2x magnifier you can screw on, but it's also 1/3 the price of a T-1. It also has a NOD setting for those that care. And abuse tests I've seen shows it's en par with a T-1.

Here's a review of it:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=277&t=187104

And IMO, it looks pretty cool and unique. The PA micro on the other hand, looks like an ACM T-1 clone. That said the PA has had pretty positive reviews too.

lol. Thanks for making the decision tougher. The SPARC is certainly appealing. I wonder how the build quality is? Comparable to PA or a bit better?

And if I recall correctly, was it you that stated that Dytac mounts are RS spec?

• 1 month later...

I picked up an ACM red/green micro dot, Dytac KAC mount (diecast), and a PA Gen8 micro dot (killflash w/ removable base, 4:30 LED emitter, 1/3 riser) not too long ago. Some observations:

- ACM red/green dot brightness is just as bright as the PA sight. Both are GTG in the sun.

- PA dot is a tad rounder than ACM. ACM dot isn't terrible though, more than adequate for RS.

- ACM exterior body design (curves/lines/shape) is a closer replication of the RS.

- PA dials/controls feel much stiffer.

- Viewing through ACM has a pinkish tint. PA has turquoise tint.

- ACM lacks anti-reflective coating (that or it just produces a yellowish reflection). PA has a ruby coating (there's reflection but it's just reddish and therefore less pronounced).

- Build material seems similar. Durability wise, too soon to tell. I'd expect PA to be better simply due to that fact that is has been proven to last but there's no indication so far that the ACM couldn't hold up as well.

- Bottom of the PA sight has a slot cutout to fit a corresponding small squarish protrusion on the top of the riser. The ACM does not have the slot cutout so in order to fit the PA riser, either a slot cutout must be made on the ACM or the squarish protrusion on the PA riser must be grinded down (a dremel will take care of that no problem).

- PA sight screw holes are RS spec. The Dytac mount fits both ACM and PA sights.

Archived