New iPad

happy.al

Basically no body needs one, but I defy anyone who gets one not to end up using it for more and more stuff as time goes by.

I've got a Desktop PC, a Netbook and recently bought an Android smartphone. I also have a work's laptop, but I rarely use that except for work.

I've thought about replacing the netbook with a tablet, because they look so darned cool, but I'm put off massively.

Firstly, they're bloody expensive - For the processing power, the iPad and Galaxy S are priced far too high.

Secondly, there seems an obvious gap in the market for a cheap and good Android tablet, but it doesn't seem to exist. The cheap ones are rubbish, the good ones are similar prices to an iPad. The Android people are giving the market to iPad at the moment.

However, my main reason for posting is that I know a number of people with iPads and they've nearly all gone through a honeymoon period of a few weeks where they hug their iPad continuously and show off all the cool stuff it does, but then very quickly seem to loose interest in them and leave them to gather dust. Most of these people even admit that they don't really find much use for them on daily basis.

So, despite the media's seeming belief that everyone from the average starving African up already has an iPad, it seems that they're still toys for a lot of people and, for some at least, pretty pointless ones at that.

The only USE I can think of for one is to make reading my Zinio delivered copy of Motor Trend easier and for the cost it'd be much cheaper to switch back to an internationally delivered paper edition for 5 years! :o

Each to their own, of course, but the experiences of my colleagues has delayed my buying of one for a good long time...

Cheers.

Archived