Straight frame G17

Hissing_Sid

I already ripped the guts out of a Marui springer G17 to make a lasertag gun so I know what they're like inside.

I was having a look at the way my G18 worked and it occured to me than most of the bits which make it tick all live in a metal subframe which sits inside the plastic frame. The slide also attaches to this subframe.

Soooo....

Cos I fancied doing something a bit different and a bit subtle I've decided to order another Marui springer G17 and a KWA G17 as well. The plan is to graft the guts out of the GBB into the springer frame and so end up with a more classy looking (straight grip and no RIS) Glock 17.

As far as I can see, the only bit I'm really going to struggle with on the springer frame is the fake slide release. A bit of crackerjack dremmeling will be required to remove it and grind the plastic flat without scarring the frame.

Beyond that it should just be a case of fitting the subframe and slide and then hoping I can get the mag lined up properly. It looks about right though.

Fingers crossed eh?!

More news when I get the 2 guns and get a couple of days to butcher them.

In the mean time, if anybody's got any other issues they'd like to raise then I guess I might as well hear them... even though I've already ordered the 2 guns. :unsure:

I got bored and emptied all the lasertag internals out of the G17 springer I already have.

The grip has some internal bracing and the mag is a very tight fit. Nothing a bit of scraping and dremmeling won't fix though.

The mag catch appears to be in the correct place. It holds the top of the mag at the right height above the frame.

The only snag was that I had to pop the heel-plate off to get it to fit. That's not a big deal though. It just means I'll have to shape the base of the grip to suit the mags.

I'm quite looking forward to doing this now. It looks like it might be a goer.

Just to clarify...

All GBB G17s are copies of the latest glocks. They have rails and contoured grips.

The Marui springer is a copy of an earlier model glock. It lacks the rails and has a straight grip with no contours.

Basically, I have a G19 and a G18 already. I just thought it'd be nice to get a G17 as well and, having decided that, I thought it might be cool to have one that's a bit different to everybody elses.

I just reckon that if this works it'll give me a variety of glocks which is fairly diverse and a unique.

Worst case is I bung all the bits back into the stock G17 frame and I just end up with what is, after all, still a fairly decent gun.

Archived