Marushin Taurus Raging Bull 6.5” (silver)

Hi guys, I'm new on arnies, although a few of you may know me from Zeroin. This is my first proper review, so don't bit my face off!

This is my review of the marushin raging bull revolver, they are something of a collectors item, and as far as I am aware marushin no longer make these, although one or two retailers may have them in stock, but mainly in black. I was very lucky to be able to get hold of one, especially for £120 shipped. There are several barrel lengths, 4.5", 6.5" and 8.375". I opted for the 6.5" as it seemed to be the most proportioned of the lot.

First Impressions:

The gun was supplied with about 50 .27g 8mm bbs, and a tool for locking the hammer (to disable the gun) Supposedly the gun is meant to come with with a rail for mounting a scope, but there was no trace of this. Now my particular gun was a little scratched and battered already (only viewable under scrutiny), and the packaging is quite good (layers of cardboard as opposed to polystyrene that tm use), so I would say that the retailer I bought it from had used it around the shop a bit grr.

The gun itself:

It's a large gun. This goes without saying, but when the shells are out it feels too light, but as soon as you load the 6 solid metal shells, it feels about right, maybe a little on the light side. This is because most of the gun is plastic, with the trigger, hammer, drum and sights being metal. You may think I am overplaying the weight of the shells in this, but each one is at least 20gm (probably more weighty that the real rounds)

The grips are a rubber coated plastic, with the trademark raging bull strip at the rear. In the real steel, this is to soak up the recoil. It is made out of rubber, and does actually feel quite nice when gripping the gun. The only problem the grips have is that the two halves seem slightly too small for the frame, and so leave a little open seam at the bottom. I am going to try and put a tiny bit of glue in there to make it a proper fit.

Marushin decided to make this revolver fire 8mm bbs, which individually load into each shell, so you get 6bbs per load: and about 18 decent shots per fill. This may not seem like many, but each shot fires an 8mm bb. The gas reservoir is filled via the bottom of the grip, like the mauri python. It is recommended that you use 134a, but I have found propane/green to be fine, but to be safe I use abbey ultra.

17a859b8.jpg

Performance:

Now this gun is mainly a wall-hanger, so I did not expect the performance to be too great. With .27g bbs it was reaching out to 30m with aright accuracy, and one or two spewing out to the side (not great when you only have 6 shots). I could not get hold of any decent weight 8mm's this weekend, so couldn't test the accuracy or range that I would have normally at a skirmish. Power wise it seems to do about 300-320fps, which makes a bloody great whack on impact. Dry firing, it seems to push out a large amount of gas, with a crack, indicating the power. I reckon that it would be *frootcagio* painful to be shot with.

Overall verdict:

Looks and feels great. I got huge number of comments wherever I went with this thing, it feels nice, and if you want a fun wall-hanger look no further. As a skirmish weapon, I would not recommend it, except if you want to scare the ###### out of someone in cqb.

DSC01938.jpg

DSC01941.jpg

DSC01944.jpg

DSC01943.jpg

Nice little review mate.. One thing though, a drum is something that sits on a riser at the back of a stage and is used to level it. A revolver holds it's cartridges in a cylinder.

Cheers, I see what you mean, probably my sleep addled brain!

How difficult are the cartridges to load as I remember some of the other makes which use the same system sometime have slightly warped casing which makes them a *badgeress* to load.

They are pretty easy, just pop the bb in the end and push it past a little O-ring. It requires very little pressure.

Edited by Cornishpotshot

"This is because most of the gun is plastic, with the trigger, hammer, drum and sights being metal. You may think I am overplaying the weight of the shells in this, but each one is at least 20gm (probably more weighty that the real rounds)"

It's called a cylinder not a drum. Also real rounds ( shells is more artillery really ) way loads more, goin by the ones in my SAA.

Marushin has actually had 2 production runs for that model being popular. The first of the X cartridge late last year and the newest just last August. Some stores still have them like Den Trinity, but don't count on it for being there too long (the SAAs got bought out in months, sometimes weeks).

Regarding the inaccuracy of some shots, have a check to see if there are problems with cylinder timing. I know my old Mateba had it. And smear a little lube on the o-ring retaining the bbs. Having the o-rings dry can act like a hop rubber and cause some rounds to veer in random directions. The shells themselves weigh a hefty 28g each, but is hardly a comparison to how heavy real loads are. The entire weight of the Marushin cartridge is just about the weight of the slug of a real bullet alone, adding casing/powder/primer will make it more than twice as heavy.