1911 Metal Slide with Plastic Chamber Thoughts...

Bobby Lemain

Brands aside (its a WA) I have a feeling that a plastic chamber on any 1911 will eventually crack under the stresses from an aluminum slide. Is this a bad assumption?

If this assumption is correct, I can either get a steel chamber for a good amount of money, or simply shave and polish the lugs off of my slide and add a spacer to my barrel so that the barrel doesn't tilt and get to continue using my plastic stock chamber.

Any insight?

Bobby, I'll pop my replies to your PMs here, for others to see also:

I had used plastic chambers on guns with aluminium slides for years with no problems.

I currently run WA made metal chambers on almost everything.

Certain WA guns can have bad tolerances and constantly break plastic chambers unless modded, i.e SCW3 Bob Chow specials, Magna 6" Xcelerator Hybrids. Also fitting a metal slide can cause issues if the tolerances are slightly out.

During SCW3 production, metal chambers became standard fitment on WA guns. WA make their SCW chambers from a softer alloy that won't damage the aluminium slide at all and are practically a drop in fit. This is what I have in mine.

SCW chambers have slightly higher locking lugs to reduce scuffing of the chamber during cycling and a small flat on the bottom to prevent the spring loading buffer touching.

I personally wouldn't use a steel chamber in any of my own guns, I would be too concerned about the hardness of the steel chamber shaving the alumium slide lugs (as can happen with Marui kits which is why a lot of the top end kits now use a 'dropped/out of battery' chamber). Interesting to also note that some TM metal kits are now coming with an aluminium barrel in lieu of the steel.

Saying that I have fitted steel chambers to lots of folks guns at their request and they worked albeit were often fiddly to fit. I've also never had any of those guns with steel chambers back because of problems that have developed over time.

With a properly fitted metal slide, I'd use the plastic one for now but try to source a WA made metal chamber. I got mine from Sanko Webshop in Japan, but they no longer have them listed. I would suggest e mailing them to check availability. They call them "WA SCW GM metal chamber "

Tokyo Model Company also have a couple of WA SCW metal chambers listed as in stock.

Archived