How to Convert Emerson Gen2 Pants into "Long" length

crackisbad

Add Two inches in your pants!!! ..er... wait- to your pants! :P

So I have a pair of these:

http://www.ebairsoft.com/emerson-gen2-style-tactical-pants-p-3593.html

I have used these for about six months now but I think I've only airsofted in them once. I have been using them for work (construction) and they have been awesome. And I love them to death, but I'm 6'1" and so they are just barely long enough - also known as; not quite long enough. So I decided to see if there was anything I could do about it. And turns out there is; the pants at the bottom have a two inch folded in piece of fabric that I was able to unfold and extend the pants from a 31.5" inseam to a 33.5"!

Now before someone gets on my case about how I could just buy some original crye or whatever combat pants in long length, I know. But I haven't spent over $100 on any of my designer jeans which I wear nearly every day, so there is no way in hell I am going to be shelling out that kind of cash for pants I would use for work and/or airsofting once a month.

Pictures:

What it originally looked like

IMAG0213.jpg

Inside view, here you can see the stitching I had to remove (all the way around of course ;) )

IMAG0212-1.jpg

With all the stitching removed and folded out (please note, there is a seam that holds the cuff to the pants - be sure to not remove that stitching)

IMAG0215.jpg

Inside view - here you can see that seam I was talking about

IMAG0216.jpg

Now that all the stitching is removed, All that is needed is to re-stitch the cuff (fold) at the bottom and the seam to reinforce it. Please also note that my wife is letting my in-laws borrow our sewing machine so the stitching you see is done by hand for now and will be reinforced with the machine once its back ;)

Here is the new stitching (and I cleaned up the random loose strands)

IMAG0217.jpg

As you can see, where the seam is, I folded the extra material on the inside downwards and added another stitch to reinforce it. Now I just need to take the sewing machine to the cuff at the bottom and add another stitch to reinforce that as well and it is good to go.

Here are the cons:

1) You have to remove the velcro closure/cinch/etc on the bottom other wise it would now be 2 inches higher than the bottom of the pants and just look silly.

2) There are tiny holes in the fabric from the stitching once you remove the velcro. (you can kinda see them in the above pic)

3) It might decrease the durability of the bottom of the pants (cuff area)

However, none of these are really valid cons to me because

1) I never use the velcro closure/cinch/etc

2) No one will ever be close enough to my ankles to ever see those holes ;)

3) I doubt it

So all in all, I think a great use of a Saturday! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ha! I wish I had that much extra length! :)

It just boggles my mind as to why the don't at least make SOME long-length sizes considering how many people outside of Asia play Airsoft and are willing to buy knockoffs

Archived