Cheap? Sniper Loadout

hchiyan

Hey guys:

Recently acquired an beta project m200 for real cheap (yay!) and have skirmished with it several times, and found it quite fun, but sniping with a full support gunner kit makes me look like a queer and its a tad bit too heavy, so im going to acquire a lightweight sniper kit. :P some questions that i have to ask (i would want to look sorta like this

http://www.google.com.hk/imgres?q=bf3+sniper&um=1&hl=zh-TW&authuser=0&tbm=isch&tbnid=s44BStLauGbZeM:&imgrefurl=http://bf3blog.com/battlefield-3-recon/&docid=B4aUZW0EFZrqfM&imgurl=http://bf3blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/battlefield-3-recon.jpg&w=620&h=328&ei=N5I_T-SgEISeiAeYsdzqBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1570&vpy=509&dur=379&hovh=163&hovw=309&tx=247&ty=69&sig=109809361915007060162&page=1&tbnh=98&tbnw=186&start=0&ndsp=46&ved=0CLEBEK0DMBs&biw=1920&bih=943 (but desert color and no shemagh)

1.Is it alright if i run without a tac vest for a sniping kit? will it be inconvenient without quick access to spare mags?

2.What kind of secondary would be most effective? I have a 1911 but have been gunned down when really up close

And lastly, one questions that is usually an opinion but do you guys use for cover when sniping while getting engaged my AEG's? i usually just ditch my gun and run but that is proving to be quite ineffective. So any tips and tricks you could give me are highly appreciated. But please dont tell me to buy a new sniper rifle, i don't have much funds and i really like my m200 :P Also obviously would like the loadout to be quite cheap

Hey buddy,

I'm in the same boat as yourself here. Got a VSR-10 for the third time about 6 months ago and I am finally considering going all out and actually doing a proper sniper loadout. I'm not sure I can actually contribute a massive amount, having not had any true sniping experience, but maybe I can bounce ideas around here too.

As with you, my loadout has gotta be CHEAP. Which means scrimping wherever I can atm. In terms of the rifle, this means ordering from abroad and cutting corners that I wouldn't like to cut such as sticking with 45 degree sears - but its all in the name of keeping the costs low. As for my actual kit, I reckon I stand a fighting chance of keeping the costs down as long as I keep it all simple in the first place. For example, I won't be ordering a full brand new ghillie suit. So far I've sourced a perfect poncho type ghillie top second hand and a sweet sniperised boonie hat.

In terms of your second question, this is actually a major consideration for myself too. In all my assault, shotgun and pistol loadouts I never carry a secondary because I believe the only way to look after my kit is to keep 100% of my attention on my main gun at all times rather than splitting my attention between two. Now, in the case of a sniper loadout this comes into major conflict with the need for a close range weapon when engaging targets below my VSR's MED.

The best middle ground for me therefore is to use nothing more complicated than just a standard simple TM M1911. The plan is to make it as secure as possible so I don't have to worry about it at all until I need it. This means keeping it in a large, soft, deep shoulder holster with secure straps and a magazine strap too. I really don't want to have to divert any of my attention away from my VSR whilst running about and things.

Translating that into your own situation, I would suggest you do the same. Stick with an M1911, only carry two or three mags for it and just keep it simple. You should only consider taking something larger and more potent, like a shotgun, if you are feeling really confident that the extra bulk and weight won't interfere with your actual sniper play.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the Input mate:

Everything you said was great, but i don't think i would want to own a ghillie suit:

1. I don't have enough space to store one

2. Bit expensive here in HK

3. And with my main concern, my m200 is approx 9 kg's with scope, and i usually lug it around all day unlike some people, so weight is quite a important issue, also speed of movement and how quick my energy drains. But nice tips never the less.

ill stick with my 1911 (basic Shooter design (TM internals)/Army frame(TM internals) should work like a charm with some practice, just gotta know the right time to pull it out, not too early not too late.

and probs shave some weight by not wearing BDU's which are quite thick.

You need to make sure that anything you carry has value. Don't carry anything which you do not use. This sound simple but many peope (including me!) often break this rule.

Rifle, magazines, speed loader, bb's (in a bag so they do not make a sound), pistol, pistol mags, WATER (I like camelbaks).

If you use the same bb's in the rifle and pistol will save some weight.

You could just wear a jacket with pockets and a belt with a holster.

Some people like magazines in a pouch on the stock of the rifle.

---

Ghillies can be small and quite cheap. http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/asocv2nx.html

Don't forget guys, he's in Hong Kong, where it's never below 80% humidity and most of the year it's between 30-40C. Ghillies would be baaaad.

What you could do in leiu of a ghille, is get a cheap/old/unwanted BDU top, and stitch a camo net to it, thus making a cheap stalking suit. It'll make a lot more noise when you move, but if you're set up right that won't matter, and it'll be quite effective.

As for kit, if you're going to spend most of your time lying down, go for a belt kit with some suspenders, and put all the pouches on your hip or back.

If you're wanting some back-up firepower, either get a decent TM GBB pistol (leave it plastic so you get the fastest possible cycle speed, you'll want to be able to put rounds down in a hurry if need be!) or carry a small AEG like an MP5k (CYMA makes an excellent metal bodied one and short-style midcaps for it) loaded with a couple of midcaps for less noise. Mp5ks are great because the midcaps are very slim and light - you can fit 100bbs into a lot less space, and if you get the CYMA MP5k midcaps, you can get 65rnds into the same size as a single pistol mag.

What DarkLite said... He pretty much covered everything I was going to say. This is what I'll add...

As to the ghillie problem, you could also make your own. It'd be largely similar to what DL suggested but with slightly more effort. IE getting burlap and twine (not expensive materials), some excess camo tops (not expensive, especially in HK) and then tying that around the camo netting. It'll take some effort to do it well, but I know quite a few who've done it (and I'm sure DL does as well...)

As for kit... Belt rig, as suggested. I'm wary of putting too much stuff on my back, I prefer to have stuff more readily accessible. Hips are better IMO. One of the snipers I know likes to keep his pistol(s) on his thigh and under his arm strapped to his chest. As for ammo, I don't imagine you'll be going through too much ammo and will need more than one or two spare mags. If you keep mags in your chest pockets you shouldn't have an issue at all (that's what I used to do when I used my sniper rifle).

Not sure what prices are like these days but as a secondary I'd highly recommend any sort of PDW. Like an MP7 or MP5K. Or even a really short M4 pistol. Again, I'm not sure how much those will run you. But they'll be able to help you hightail out of a sticky spot.

Now, play tips... No matter how you look at it, you will be outgunned. Seeing as a lot of times (almost every game I've been to) someone's modified AEG can match my bolt action in accuracy and distance (granted, the bolt action I had was awful...). But, doesn't mean you can't get kills and, even if you can't, you can still have fun. Mostly it's about finding a good position and lots of teamwork. Making sure that your team does a good enough job of keeping everyone else distracted so no one has time to really search for you. I've been hit by plenty of snipers and I've hit my share of people with mine. It takes a LOT of practice to get good at this element of the game, but it's a lot of fun. Both DL and I know some guys who've done a pretty good job with sniper rifles.

Good luck!

Archived