PGC Aluminium slide and outer barrel TM G17, change in black anodize finish?

grimmah

Hello. Last year i purchased the PGC aluminuin slide and outer barrel in black for my TM G17. I kinda ruined the finish of it a bit while trying out an airsoft serpa security 3 holster for it. It didnt fit very well and often ended up stuck when i had the airsoft blackhawk flashlight, which the holster was made for, attached.

Anyway. I decided to buy a new PGC slide kit, to exchange for when i want a minty fresh look, and i recently got one from WGC. Ok, it arrived today and the finish is completely different.. It has a very dull and thin black anodize, compared to a rich less dull black anodize on my older version. They are both the new version, for better fit with Blackhawk's serpa holsters.

Im wondering if anyone else is aware of this change in how PGC anodizes their slides. Its been about a year between these two purchases.

Im extremely disapointed in this new anodize job, as it feels like it will scratch up the moment it touches something. The old one has held up well, except for where the poorly fitting knockoff holster has dragged across the slide while holstering and removing the pistol.. I am aware that this is one of the cheaper slides out there, but the quality of the anodize job is significantly different between the two, otherwise its the same product.

Any feedback about this from other people would be appreciated. I have contacted WGC about it, but i doubt they can help confirm or exchange this kit, if PGC has changed methods, or cheapened out on anodizing process..

Thanks and regards,

grimm

Well, WGC got back to me, and yes they were aware of the more dull matte finish, but had not heard of durability issues yet from end users.. So i guess ill have to keep it. But its a shame, it makes the gun look much less realistic, since the other finish had a more polished matte "real steel" look.

Actually, real-steel Glocks turn to a very matt finish after just a little time, if carried a lot. My G17 and 18 looked just like the pictures in gun magazines when new, but after 6 months of every day carry, they ended up with that dark grey look. The real-steel finish on Glocks actually permiates the metal surface and on really heavily used Glocks, the finish may appear to be completely gone but is actually still protecting the pistol.

On another note, I have the PGC slide on my TM G17 and it actually matches my real steel G17 (an older model) quite well. I've had the slide on my TM for well over a year and use a Blackhawk holster and there has been no significant wear other than the usual edges wear.

The only Glock style airsoft pistol that I've had for a long period of time that is used quite a bit and for some reason shows little wear at all, is a KJW G23 that is several years old and the finish still look new. I consider it probably the best anodizing I've seen yet.

I didnt know that. But i do think you own the older Blackhawk compatible slide, if youve had it for well over a year.. The new one looks VERY dull. Very cheap looking. The year old one i have looks more like ive seen real steel glocks on youtube etc.. Really disapointed in the new finish.. If i had a decent camera id take some comparison pics but i only have a lousy mobile phone camera and it doesnt come out well. I might get some rough paper towel and some oil and rub it in, to see if it changes up the finish a little.. The finish as it is doesnt look like a gun finish at all. Having said that, i have never handled a real steel gun before.

Ive started looking at other slides now, like titanium coloured or something, because if it doesnt look like a stock glock anymore, i might as well flash it up a little. Shooters Design seem to have a fairly nice slide with weight saving holes in it.

If it's such a worry why not have the old slide if you still have it or the new slide bead blasted then re-anodized? That way you could have a choice of colours or even hard anodizing on it if you wanted an even harder wearing finish.

Archived