TM VSR-10 Real Shock Qs

renegadecow

So there's a complete stock Real Shock cylinder at TMC and I'm making an XP-100. I figured it would be pretty fun to have some recoil on such a big pistol. But I have little knowledge about the Real Shock version and whatever review I find of it either keep it bone stock or swap out everything but the Marui sticker. So my question is, rather questions are:

-just how much recoil is there, say compared to GBBRs?

-can it handle a stock JG BAR-10 spring which is about the equivalent of a 130 spring I think?

-does the recoil affect accuracy and by how much? I imagine it does because the displacement weight is on the piston itself so there is recoil as the shot is being made. Also, since I'm putting it in a handgun with reduced mass and no stock, the recoil might get too much to the point that it does throw shots off.

and lastly

-is the weighted piston the only difference to a standard one? If so I imagine I could just modify a cheaper piston and add weights to it because the complete cylinder is not exactly cheap.

Hey RC, I have a TM VSR Real Shock version as my current rifle of choice. So, I think I can help you out a bit.

Basically, the short answer to your above questions is very much 'no, don't get the TM VSR 'Real Shock'.

This is because the TM VSR Real Shock does literally, as you have guessed, have only one difference from the standard VSR - those cylinder weights. And those said weights just don't change a damn thing. In a blind fire test, the only way a user could identify the RS version would be the distinctive and altogether rather disturbing additional 'clack' which one gets with the additional weight on the cylinder. To be fair, the weights might not necessarily detract from the operation and reliability of the rifle but I'm afraid to say that they sure as *suitcase* do not add anything to the experience.

This may all sound like a bash fest but please trust me that without actually fitting the RS version into a vice and measuring the vibrations with some serious equipment you really never would notice the so called 'real shock'.

To answer your questions specifically, should you still be interested in buying the real shock:

-just how much recoil is there, say compared to GBBRs? Effectively none, compared to a WE GBBR.

-can it handle a stock JG BAR-10 spring which is about the equivalent of a 130 spring I think? Yes, but not for long unless it is upgraded with aftermarket sears and potentially other parts.

-does the recoil affect accuracy and by how much? I imagine it does because the displacement weight is on the piston itself so there is recoil as the shot is being made. Also, since I'm putting it in a handgun with reduced mass and no stock, the recoil might get too much to the point that it does throw shots off.

and lastly. Well, no, it doesn't but only because of the aforementioned lack of shock.

-is the weighted piston the only difference to a standard one? If so I imagine I could just modify a cheaper piston and add weights to it because the complete cylinder is not exactly cheap. Yes, the only difference. Yes, you could add weights to the piston you already have and want to use. No, I would not recommend you bother though.

Final points, I would still recommend the VSR Real Shock to anyone wanting the faux wood stock, its a good rifle as all TM VSRs are. This is what I did, I liked the classic look, and bought it in full knowledge that the shock feature was useless, as I asked this same question about 3-4 years ago :) I took the silly weights out, first thing - as any potential RS version owner should. But, in your case RC, not needing the stock, don't bother.

Having handled and fired both Real Shock and regular VSRs, I don't agree at all with the above assessment of the Real Shock.

This is because the TM VSR Real Shock does literally, as you have guessed, have only one difference from the standard VSR - those cylinder weights. And those said weights just don't change a damn thing. In a blind fire test, the only way a user could identify the RS version would be the distinctive and altogether rather disturbing additional 'clack' which one gets with the additional weight on the cylinder.

The Real Shock does indeed make a loud 'clack' when it's fired, but since the regular VSR is as quiet as church that's an improvement in my book. There is a small 'kick'. It's not huge but it is there, and it would be better felt (in my assessment) by a pistol held one-handed than by a rifle, because of the weight transfer hinging on the shooter's wrist rather than being locked into his shoulder. That said, the shock is not particularly big; it's much less than my stock Recoil Shock SOPMOD and not even a fraction of a decent GBB (though my GBB experience isn't representative).

I was told by Pro Airsoft Supplies that most buyers would end up removing the cylinder weights, because the only reason to restrict yourself to a bolt-action springer (especially in the Marui's price range) is to take full advantage of the higher FPS limits they're afforded at some UK sites, and the weights are a distraction from that upgrade path. I would assume they cause more wear and tear on sears and the like as they effectively increase the moving masses involved. However, if I was going to buy a VSR I would definitely buy a Real Shock. I would probably end up increasing the weight involved to see if that increased the felt recoil (like I say, it isn't huge) but it is something, which is a huge improvement over 'nothing'.

[EDIT]If the cylinder is exactly the same, try weighting it yourself. You've nothing to lose.[/EDIT]

@PureSilver:

Well then, good Sir - it appears we have reached an impasse.

As gentlemen, I see no honourable way out of this situation, which we find ourselves in, other than a duel.

VSR-10s at dawn, on the eve of the next Moon.

Please instruct your man to have the weaponry of choice ready for the occasion.

:P

• 4 weeks later...

Archived