random light striking

BerserkDS

Hey guys,

I have a full custom built Nova Springfield LDC 1911, basically consists of all nova externals and mostly airsoft surgeon internals.

My main problem is through the mag, Ill have random light striking shots. Even sometimes towards the end of the mag. I can't for the life of me figure out why it does this. Currently I'm running guarder 150 springs, as bbu, tm nozzle. What could be causing this issue? Its been happening in both cold and hot weather

There are only 2 things that can cause the feeling of light striking:

- A faulty rocket valve and it's spring in the nozzle

- The valve knocker not hitting hard enough

The first is unlikely , since it would be every shot or most of the shots.

The second one can be caused by many things, since you're running a guarder hammer spring, normal lightstriking is probably not the main reason.

Other things that can cause this: 

- The hammer strut is slightly missaligned on the mainspring housing, causing inconsistent hammer release power, causing the valve to sometimes not strike hard enough.

- The hammer mech is just dirty  and sometimes the gunk slows down a bit the hammer so it light strikes.

- Sometimes the slide does not return forward 100% but enough to fire. When the hammer hits the slide and pushes it forward it looses some of it's momentum and thus lightstrikes.

- The hammer strut is having friction issues with the grip safety (something that can happen with nova grip safeties, sometimes).

- The valve knocker is worn out so it sometimes doesn't reach the adequate depth for the valve (unlikely since it'd be more present).

If it were me, I'd strip the gun 100%, make sure the hammer internals are clean and lubed and that there are no marks of friction on the hammer strut, reassemble it and test fire making sure the slide is in battery 100%.

See I hope this helps you out a bit.

9/10 I find a gummy valve o-ring to be at fault.

edit:

TMs take sizes -005 or -006 which in metric are 2.57mm (ID)x1.78mm (W) and 2.90mm (ID)x1.78mm (W) respectively. 70 durometer works best, but from tests 90 durometer can give you as much as a 20% performance increase, but are really hard to install due to being less elastic.

If it happens with all mags, I forgot to add 2 things:

With current Nova kits,  the BBU sits slightly higher than normal marui specs. SOMETIMES (depending on the hammer pin, specially with guarder) the hammer may not cock 100% but only say 95 (you can check this by trying to flip the safety up at every shot. If it doesn't go up or shows resistance, try pushing the hammer down with your finger and try again. If it goes up smoothly that might be it). That can cause inconsistent lightstriking.

Lastly, the slide may not be 100% in battery, if the hammer is hitting a slightly out of battery slide it causes lightstriking , so check for that too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I noticed the new nova hammers were a bit off spec so it would hit part of the subframe next to the knocker and the rear plate behind the BBU. So i took off a couple of mms off both parts so the hammer can depress the valve fully.

I figured it was those parts as EVERYTHING was replaced from subframe to hammer springs. Swapped frames, bent leafs, etc. It all came down to, the guns would function perfectly until the new nova hammers were installed. After really looking at them and comparing to the older ones it was slightly diff. New ones that needed slight filing to gun were nova stainless wilson hammer, nova sis hammer. My old wilson two tones were drop in fit.

Archived