Early warning system

Right, this isn't a project suggestion as it has already been made, but R22 suggested I put it in here as it is the most relevant forum.

Anyway this is my guide to building a simple, cheap effective early warning system, similar to those STAR claymores that emit a loud tone when the wire is tripped.

I have nicknamed the device the screamer

Right, firstly you must aquire a 'rape alarm'. If you can't find one they have them on Ebay. It MUST be the type that you pull the pin out of to activate. I aquired my alarm from my local pound shop (2 alarms for a pound). 50p each is pretty cheap, though the noise emitted is quite pathetic, however it should suffice for a quiet environment.

Firstly get your alarm. As you can see this one is painted quite poorly in urban colours.

tripwirenoisealarm.jpg

Secondly, using model paint (from games workshop is best), paint your alarm in the same colours as the intended environment. E.g woodland - brown and greens

tripwire6paint.jpg

Then hang it somewhere to dry. (so the paint is not smudged)

Thirdly cut off the string, but make sure you leave the small ring.

tripwire4cut.jpg

Add a new piece of string, again of the appropriate colours for the playing environment. (you will see that I have added a blue piece of string, this is so you will be able to see it in the next couple of photos) also make sure the string is quite long as one end may have to be tied around a tree.

tripwire3string.jpg

Then add Blue or white tac to the back of the alarm. I find that white tac is stronger.

Adding it in a cross shape gives it a larger surface area than just sticking it on in a blob. ALWAYS USE BLU TAC, nailing it to a tree can easily kill the tree. NEVER NAIL IT.

tripwire2bt.jpg

Now you are ready to deploy your 'screamer'. Find an appropriate tree, fence post or door way. The screamer is best placed on a commonly used pathway, or if you are hiding, placed behind you or in a place where somebody may sneak up. blue tac the screamer to one tree/wall etc and tie the other end of the string around an other tree, or blue tac it to another wall.

For safetys sake never place one at the top or bottom of a flight of stairs or at the top of a steep hill. The pin is pulled out very easily but we aren't risks takers and we shouldn't start now.

Anyhow here is one deployed. Alright it is my garden but you get the idea.

tripwire1.jpg

So there you have it, if you use the pound shop ones you have a very cheap early warning system many of which can be scattered around your hiding area, base etc.

mods - I'm sorry if the pictures take up bandwith space, though i don't think they should feel free to minimise/delete if they do.

I doubt that it would be alowed, as due to the shape of the grenades you would probably have to duct tape the grenade to the tree, this would concentrate the blast more into the bark so could be very hazardous. Also there is a much higher risk of somebody standing on it.

I've actually got a few of these, and thought they'd be excellent for room clearing, there soo screechingly loud, I'm afraid to pull the pin out. Just pull the pin, throw it in, kids will be to distracted by sound, they won't react!

I find 6Lbs nylon Fishing line to be good and dirt cheap with little chance of the player just breaking it without setting off the alarm etc.

I thought about making one which the alarm was removed and instead have a good bit of electric wire with a bulb at the end so the enemy aren't aware they've been detected...what can I say I love ambushes :diablo: . but i think the internal resistance of the wire would make it impractical, and they'd have to be well labeled so you didn't go and setup an ambush in the wrong place while the enemy saunder into your base

Cheers

Mig

OMG, i feel like such a weirdo asking people on ebay how their rape alarm works!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes I can quite imagaine.

If you live in England go into your local pound shop, they should have some there, they are not very loud though.

Coming soon by the way, my review on how to make a non pyrotechnic noise emiting land mine. It uses pretty much the same method. I'll post it on saturday.

i use party poppers you tie it to a tree with clear flishing line and tie the fishing line to the party popper string and when they trip over it it makes a lou d popping sound it shoots out colored paper stings but you can take that out and BAM a pack of 25 at a party store in the US is about 6 bucks but i do not know about the UK (these are not illegal and they are not fire works)

works really well!

Archived