ProWin gearbox

happy.al

Hello,

I can't see much information on the Pro Win gearbox on this forum and I thought it might be worthwhile starting a thread to share some information.

I am lucky enough to have a Pro Win gearbox, I have one installed in a gun that has a Chimera mosfet installed in it. During a brain fart moment I destroyed the mosfet cables. Since I have to strip down the gearbox anyway I was wondering if anyone wanted some pictures, or to discus any part of the gearbox?

I was kinda joking...:D

But to put it in a useful way, i remember having to dremel the following:

Blue:

Inside of receiver, rightside (box width)

Inside of receiver, front tabs around hopup + a slight bit of the pin eyes (inside still) (upper gearbox width + length. Easier disassembly.)

Inside of receiver, rear passage (rearwire room)

Outside of gearbox, back (rearwire room)

Inside of gearbox, to avoid sector grinding it on the side due to shimming.

Inside of the upper gearbox, the piston rails are too narrow. Some people grind the pistons instead.

Part of the ARL release lever. Otherwise it will insta-strip the bevel on some shim settings when used.

Grey is mostly the same as blue, with the following exceptions:

Thinner, so usually no dremeling on the side of the receiver needed.

More rearwire room (but not enough imho).

Piston section is less narrow.

This is what i can remember off the top of my head. It's been a long time.

This was mainly with CA M15 receivers, era 2005-2010. These receivers usually take G&P boxes, Systema, etc just fine.

I'm not aware of any receivers out there taking ProWin boxes without modding. Some are supposedly easier than others, but in my experience they all end up taking serious work. Or at least the boxes do.

I'll have to ask around about the G&P, but it's unlikely that it's a perfect fit IMHO.

Also that's kinda cheating...back in my day we had to dremel our way to school, uphill both ways :P

Having enough rearwire room is massivly important. If there's not, the wires will get pinched (remember, you squeeze/unsqueeze whenever you take the upper off) and eventually the wires will wear down and short over the receiver. Because this is a short from wear, not clean cut, it might first show itself when you play, rather than during testing!

Archived