"Trust me on the suncreen"

MDK_Marshal

My girlfriend sent me this a wee while ago, and I've only just managed to get it off the hotmail servers. I guess that a lot of you will have heard it before, but still, I feel it needs posting.

Sitting with this playing in the background, I've been thinking about life in general. Our entire way of life is wrong, imho. We live in a society where we are pressured to make money, and become wealthy while we can. But why should we do this? What good will a Porsche do you when you're dead? We have to live for the here and now. Do what makes you happy - you may never get another chance to do the things you love.

It's just the same for airsoft. Play. Enjoy yourslef. Our sport may soon be dying out because of the government. Enjoy life while you can, skirmish when you want, and make yourself happy.

Most religions may tell us that there's an afterlife, but we cannot know for sure. we may get another chance at life, we may only get the one. In the end, it doesn't matter. Do the things that make you happy in the here and now. If you don't like your job, quit. If you don't like your spouse, leave him/her. Happiness is everything. Money is nothing. Small peices of metal and paper run our lives, dictate what we can and can't do, and make us all unhappy. I for one would rather be poor and in bliss, than be rich and unhappy.

Just some thoughts. Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic, but does that realy make a difference to anything? Or am I just realising what has been staring civilisation in the face all this time? I don't know. Heck, I'm not sure why I'm posting this. But here it is. The post.

Make yourself happy. And wear sunscreen.

baz luhrmann everybodys free to wear sunscreen.mp3

Pre-posted, but I feel it has relavance here.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of 2005,

Play Airsoft.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, Airsoft would be it. The long term benefits of Airsoft have been proved by Skirmishers whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience…

I will dispense this advice, now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth; oh nevermind; you will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years you’ll look back at photos of yourself, and recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked….

You are not as fat as you imagine.

Don’t worry about your rep points; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to storm a bunker with just a pointed stick. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindisde you like a sniper with a vsr10 hiding in a bush.

Do one thing every game that scares you

Reload

Don’t be reckless with other people’s weapons, don’t put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Fire

Don’t waste your time on on FPS worries; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind; the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with yourself.

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the flaming; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old spare parts, throw away your old gun boxes.

Stretch

Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know which gun is best for you.…the most interesting people I know didn’t know when they were newbs what they wanted to to use for their guns; Some of the most interesting old hands I know still don’t.

Use plenty of pyro.

Be kind to your gearbox, you’ll miss that when it dies.

Maybe you’ll upgrade, maybe you won’t,

Maybe you’ll kick *albatross*, maybe you won’t,

Maybe you’ll be hit in 30 seconds,

Maybe you’ll achieve the objective and be the last man standing…

What ever you do, don’t congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your choices are half chance, so are everybody else’s.

Enjoy your weapon, use it every way you can, don’t be afraid of it, or what other people think of it, it’s the greatest toy you’ll ever own..

Sneak…even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room.

Read the manual, even if it's in japanese.

Do NOT watch black hawk down, it will only make you spend money.

Get to know your teammates, you never know when they’ll be gone for good.

Be nice to your retailers, they're your best link to new guns and the people most likely to repair them for you in the future.

Understand that Guns come and go, but with the precious few you should hold on.

Work hard to bridge the gaps in finaincing and desire, because the poorer you get,

the more you'll realise that airsoft is more addictive than crack..

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, Western arms will suck,

you too will get old and when you do you’ll fantasize that when you were young

prices were reasonable, Western arms rocked, and players respected the marshalls.

Respect your marshalls.

Don’t expect anyone else to buy your kit.

Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you'll have a wealthy spouse;

but you never know when either one might run out.

Don’t mess too much with your hop up, or by the time you're done, it will be buggered..

Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

But trust me about Airsoft…

That's my own work, but it is also a re-post (I put it up in the airsoft rap thread when it first started).

Cheers to everyone who repped me for it, it took me ages (19 minutes :) ) and if anyone can think of a way to make the first stanza airsoft related it'll be much apprecaited. :)

I will dispense this advice, now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth; oh nevermind; you will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they've faded. But trust me, in 20 years you’ll look back at photos of yourself, and recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked….

You are not as fat as you imagine.

Now

Enjoy the power and beauty of your AEG; oh nevermind; you will not understand the power and beauty of your AEG until the color of the grips have faded. But trust me, in 20 years you'll look back at photos of your AEG, and recall in away you can't grasp now how many noobs you could've owned and how faboulus it looked...

The Armalite is not as raped as you imagine.

Enjoy :D

Ah, if only life were so simple as the post that started this thread. The concept is sound I agree, life would be so much better to live if we could do what made us happy and did all the things we love... but it just doesn't work that way does it? "If you don't like your job, quit." - I take it you don't have a mortgage then? "If you don't like your spouse, leave him/her" - ah, but now you may be happier but they're not, so now not everyone's living in the happy fantasy world!

I've tried working both ways - well paid jobs that I didn't like, and poorly paid jobs that I loved. Both have there upsides, but also their downsides. In the end, I'm taking the money so I can enjoy life outside work more - it's better than spending your day happy in your work and then spending your free time not doing the things you want because you can't afford to!

The other problem is, that if everyone just did what they liked - who'd do the stuff no one wanted to do? I reckon it'd get kinda messy pretty quick!

Yes, money does rule the world, live with it.

Some people get lucky and get to do a job they enjoy and get enough cash to live the life they want, most of us probably don't get both, but it's a nice thing to aim for!

And yes, she probably is a hopeless romantic IMHO!

Smeg.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of '99 ...embrace the Dark Side.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, the Dark Side would be it.

The long-term benefits of the Dark Side have been proved by the Dark Lords of the Sith,

whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering cruelty and conquests.

I will dispense this advice now ...

Enjoy the power and beauty of your planet.

Oh, never mind, you will never understand the power and the beauty of your planet until after the Empire has destroyed it in a futile attempt to find the Rebel Base.

But trust me, in 20 years, you will look back at photos of your home and recall, in a way you can't grasp now, how blissfully ignorant you were, and how fabulous your planet really looked before it was a pile of burning space rubble.

Your planet is not as dull as you imagine.

Don't worry about the Rebellion -- or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to make the Kessel run in a landspeeder.

The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your twisted mind.

The kind that fire a direct hit into your reactor core at 4 p.m. on some idle Tuesday.

Do in one Death Star officer every day.

Scheme. Don't disobey the Emperor's orders; don't put up with people who disobey yours.

Hate. Don't waste your time on Stormtroopers. They can't hit the broad side of a barn.

The battle is long and in the end, it's only with yourself. And your idiot son.

Remember the prophecies of the Emperor; ignore the whinings of your bratty upstart farmboy of a son.

If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old lightsaber, but change your costume slightly with every sequel.

Destroy. Don't feel guilty if you have no misgivings about joining the Dark Side.

The most interesting people I know didn't have any respect at 22 for their victim's lives.

Some of the most interesting 40-year-olds I know still don't.

Have plenty of minions.

Be kind to your right hand, you'll miss it when it's gone.

Maybe you'll marry, maybe you won't. Maybe your son will join you, maybe he won't.

Maybe you'll convince your daughter to become a dark Jedi and assist you in your campaign of hatred and destruction;

Maybe she'll become a rebel leader and marry a scruffy-looking nerf herder.

Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate yourself, either.

Your destiny is half chance. So is everybody else's.

Enjoy the Force. Exploit it every way you can.

Don't be afraid of it or what other people think of your "sorcerer's ways."

The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to its power.

Kill. Even if you have no one to kill but a meaningless extra.

Listen to what the Emperor has foreseen, even if you don't follow his prophecies.

Do not take your mask off, it will only make you feel ugly.

Get to know your parents. You'll never know when they'll turn out to be your arch enemies.

Be nice to your siblings. They are your best link to your Jedi lineage and the ones most likely to become Jedi in the future.

Understand that lackeys come and go. But with a precious few, you should keep from crushing their tracheas. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and lifestyle, for as the more desperate you become, the more you will need to send bounty hunters to do your dirty work for you.

Live on Dagobah once, but leave before you get footrot.

Live on Tattooine once, but leave before you get heat stroke.

Travel. Preferably in your own custom TIE Fighter.

Accept certain inalienable truths: rebellions will rise, the Imperial Senate will have to be disbanded, you too will get old.

And when you do, you'll fantasise that when you were young, rebels were easily crushed, the Imperial Senate was subservient, and citizens respected their Emperor.

Respect your Emperor.

Don't expect your son to rule the galaxy with you.

Maybe he'll give in to his anger, maybe he'll strike you down, but you'll never know when he'll whine pleadingly and you'll find yourself turning to the Light Side and saving his sorry butt.

Don't strike down your old Jedi Master, or he will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it, or I'll crush your throat.

Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing your humanity from the depths of sin, wiping it off, putting black body armour over the ugly parts and redeeming it for more than its worth.

But trust me on the Dark Side.

Archived