M1100 Beltfeed/magazine

TDS

Allright, well in the attempt to bypass the terrible feeding/ejecting issues with the m1100, I want to attempt to make it either belt or magazine fed. Either way i'd get rid of the bolt cover completely.

I'm leaning twards belt fed, because its cooler, and you dont need to worry about where the shells are going after being fired, just need to advance the belt 1 round after each shot.

magazine firing worries me, because it still needs an ejecting system, and the 1100's is pretty bad.

The belt advancement system I could hide under a "feeding tray" style peice that is somehow tied into the blowback mech to advance the belt after every shot.

I need ideas, gimme

Go with the mag feed.

A belt feed system needs to accomplish too many tasks. Bring a shell into the receiver, let it chamber, retract back into the belt (if I'm getting your idea straight), and then advance it out of the chamber.

Finding a plastic drive belt of some kind, hooking it to a motor, timing it with the trigger seems relatively easy. Hooking shells to it, and devising a way to accomplish the chambering/retracting sounds complex.

If you could bypass chambering a shell, then I think you'll find better success.

Actually the gun allready chambers/unchambers rounds, its part of the blowback system, all that needs to occur is pushing or pulling the belt through, I want to stay away from magazine feeding, because you still need an ejection system, and those simply dont work well.

here's what I was thinking

The feeding system would be two "sprockets" that feed the chain of ammo, I'm thinking a hicap-style winding spring would be the best plan here.

when the gun fires, the blowback mech pulls back, and pulls out a pin that stops the sprockets from winding, and pulls in another pin (blue) that stops the sprocket from spinning and spinning all the rounds through the gun. of course the "hicap" would need to be wound after every belt.

firing system would be

BANG

Blowback system occurs

Pin 1 gets pulled out, pin 2 gets pulled in

sprocket rotates 75% of the way

pin 2 gets pulled out, pin 1 gets pulled in

sprocket finishes rotating

repeat

if the pins are adjustable it might take some tweaking but it should work.

refer to my 5 minute paint sketch, the pins arent right obviously

post-6356-1123689439_thumb.jpg

OK. But, the blowback mech moves a shell toward the muzzle, then away dururing ejection.

You will need a way for the shell to feed off of the belt, then get re-inserted. That is, if you plan on doing away with the ejector and keeping empty shells on the belt.

Or you need to figure a way for the whole belt / carrier to move forward for the firing.

Or you need to eliminate the "blowback" and make it a NBB so it doesn't need to "chamber" a shell.

I think a simple circuit could be designed to advance a motor "2 rotations" (or whatever) every time the trigger is pulled (or released) to advance the belt.

A cool idea TDS, but unless I'm missing something, a couple bugs to work out :)

well your right, but the chambering/unchambering only moves the shell 1/8ish of an inch, the rear nozzle is spring loaded against the shell so it will make a clean seal no matter how the belt holds it, and the front end has that metal barrel peice that presses against the rubber on the front of the shell.

If gas escapes, there's a few things that I can try to fix it, I'm only really worried about it not feeding.

Simplified idea, stolen from my pancor jackhammer plans (should have thought of this earlier)

basically, the "sprocket" would ride on a shaft that would rotate, or would rotate around a pin that rides on cams, the pin would blow back and forth as the gun fires (pic is more obvious, im bad with words)

post-6356-1123707098_thumb.jpg

Archived