Just got Photo Shop

Crandall

I wrote a few image manipulation programs in Java at Uni - nothing that complicated - rotating, scaling, Gaussian blurs, pixellation (mosaic effect) and so on - but it is funny how quickly you can put these things together.

Yeah, sounds like a trivial task. What did you do for the rest of your lunch hour? :huh:

It would probably take me longer to figure out how to use the software than it took you to write it. I hate programmers.

Bezier curves. One question - what smart alec though those up? Was it someone wanting to taunt me? I tried learning how to use them and gave up after an hour. I'm sticking with chunky crayons.

Next question - why do unemployed people with minor mental health issues (depression and anxiety) all want to become freelance web developers?

No idea - being a web developer's a proper pain in the proverbial. All that CSS and cross-browser nonsense? ASP headaches? Clients who want you to know every server-side language under the sun? Having to explain every acronym to technical plebs like me? :lol:

I like being on the design side - a little Flash, a little Photoshop, a little Dreamweaver... got through three years' freelancing with that lot :D

One thing I learnt from freelancing is you wouldn't believe how bad some full-time employed web designers are.

Yeah, sounds like a trivial task.  What did you do for the rest of your lunch hour? :huh:

It would probably take me longer to figure out how to use the software than it took you to write it.  I hate programmers. 

Bezier curves.  One question - what smart alec though those up?  Was it someone wanting to taunt me?  I tried learning how to use them and gave up after an hour.  I'm sticking with chunky crayons.

My degree was half design and half programming - I spent a lot of my first year learning assembly language, ferchrissakes. What a total waste of time that was.

We had our hands held throughout the Java programming module - I couldn't do any of that today. Thing about programming is once you know the logical structures and stuff like object orientation and parent-child hierarchies they're all fairly similar.

These days if I want a function I'll go to javascript.internet.com or FlashKit, nick someone else's and modify it to do what I want. In the real world that's about all you need to know on the web side of things :)

These days if I want a function I'll go to javascript.internet.com or FlashKit, nick someone else's and modify it to do what I want.  In the real world that's about all you need to know on the web side of things  :)

heh, yeah, i'm seeing a lot of this, even back 3-4 years ago.

as for bezier curves? i find them very very useful..

I dont even know where to start to write programs!! Help!!

I learnt 70% of it during A-level computing (Visual Basic and *yuck* Pascal) and at Uni doing a BSc multimedia degree and the rest working to briefs, where they'll say "we want this, this and this" and then you toddle off and work out how to make it come about :)

Most programming is your basic Physics logic structures - if, and, or and so on, combined with a bit of maths. Honestly though, it's the sort of thing you need to learn through trial and error - there's no easy way to just make it work and tearing your hair out until 3am until you find the tiny piece of code that's messing everything up is something every programmer knows all too well :)

Vincent's right, stick to Photoshop :D Much less stressful

Heh, yeah i know what you meant Rikkster, about the "tearing your hair out until 3am until you find the tiny piece of code that's messing everything up" :D Allthough im just using c++ a the moment, its still a pain in the *albatross* trying to find that little bugger somewhere

Archived