Broadband costs

letterbomb

Just signed up with Tesco myself. £19.97 a month, 512k, and the best bit... no download limit.

The connection is better than my old Pipex broadband too. Definite thumbs up.

If this thread's airsoft related though I'm a flying monkey called Harry :)

Just signed up with Tesco myself.  £19.97 a month, 512k, and the best bit... no download limit.

The connection is better than my old Pipex broadband too.  Definite thumbs up.

If this thread's airsoft related though I'm a flying monkey called Harry  :)

yeh the tesco broadband goes on top of whatever your paying for line rental.

so if you with the likes of bt ittl probably mean that you gotta pay whatever they charge to have the phoneline + the extra £20 to have the net.

but it still seems a lot cheaper than having the +£40 offerd by bt on top of your line rental dosnt it?

insurance, delivery! what cant they do! :o

I'm with Zen ADSL. Support is excellent, and it's a bit pricier at £30 (I think) a month for a 512k connection. The service is worth it though - no queues on the phone, and friendly staff if you have any problems (with your ADSL - they don't employ trained psychiatrists).

Letterbomb, firstly, how much is your phone bill normaly, and secondly have a look at you phone bill again, then look at the numbers phoned and how much they amount to, because our phone bill was rediculously expensive and it turned out we had a computer virus that was making exeptionaly expensive calls to west african countries ('Sao Tome' or something) it turned out this was a new type of scam, which was apparently funding a revolutionary group?! :o

understandably a bit miffed i rang BT and they said this was quite a common problem and they blocked the number, BTW the calls were made when nobody was using the phone, and when nobody was using the internet, which was and is very worying, after internet research i found that an american guy lost $1000 through it!

if anybody else had this or a similar problem i would be interested to know.

Letterbomb, firstly, how much is your phone bill normaly, and secondly have a look at you phone bill again, then look at the numbers phoned and how much they amount to, because our phone bill was rediculously expensive and it turned out we had a computer virus that was making exeptionaly expensive calls to west african countries ('Sao Tome' or something) it turned out this was a new type of scam, which was apparently funding a revolutionary group?! :o 

understandably a bit miffed i rang BT and they said this was quite a common problem and they blocked the number, BTW the calls were made when nobody was using the phone, and when nobody was using the internet, which was and is very worying, after internet research i found that an american guy lost $1000 through it!

if anybody else had this or a similar problem i would be interested to know.

I had that problem when i was still using BT 56k, got a £500 phone bill due to it. BT attempted to block the number but somehow it just opend up another one and carried on calling. Once i had a good root round the computers files (practically riped the guts outta the thing) i found out that it was a piece of spywear that got through :(

Another trip to PC World and my wallet £80 lighter problem was fixed <_<

I'm with Blueyonder. Got what was the 512 down / 128 up connection for £25 about a year or so ago, but due to the ADSL prices being so good, they upped it to 768, and now appear set to up it again to 1mb.

*edit - just realised I wrote £25 a year - I mean a month, or I wouldn't be moaning ^_^*

It'll still only have a poxy 128k/s upload speed though, and connects via the set top box which is by far the worst invention man ever created. Digital set top boxes are terrible. Try dling torrents for example, and then changing channels on your TV. It's so sluggish it's unbearable.

That or I'm the lucky mug to have been given another useless STB. When I say another I mean that this is the second, as the first one was even worse. Strangely the anologue STB worked perfectly....:s

Archived