Killzone

james turkey

I think the single-player aspect is pretty good. It's been much maligned in reviews, but is way better than the last couple of Medal Of Honour games, and the grim atmosphere is more Games Workshop Warhammer 40K and flashy sci-fi Halo or Unreal. The AI is both good and bad, mostly good, and they react when you shoot their buddy with a sniper rifle unlike some games . Graphics are excellent, and i've had no slowdown on my launch PS2. Story is ok - well described and acted, but as some have said could be more involving and take in greater aspects of the invasion than just the narrow focus it does.

Online is a bit variable; i'm sick of foriegn types with their awful latencey. I was shooting one guy with the combat shotgun, and everytime i'd fire he'd not be there and would teleport left - killed me too! Another time i'm right behind a guy and i unload with an assault rifle right into his head. One clip later, and while im reloading he turns around and kills me with one shot from a shottie... some rank-whores picking the less fair maps/games, lag/latency (had Aussies players about during the day), and hit detection all to be desired.

Good stuff game-modes not on other PS2 games, very atmosphereic, and if you do 5 or 10 respawns (only) it makes people play a lot more tactically.

Anyone got any thoughts on weapons? Seems like anything with explosion damage and shotguns work. The big chaingun is ok, but the smaller MG and rifles suck, sniper rifles are excellent against stationary targets, but it can be all too random at times.

Overall i'd rate it a decent game, but whether it remains popular online is down to some updates. I think Rachet & Clank 3 online is actually better, but it dosent even have the numbers of Killzone, and of course you have to tempt people away from SOCOM 2, which is always difficult.

Archived