Best All-around rifle/most versatile etc.

ErikBobbo

The Steyr-Mannlicher AUG (Army Universal Rifle). I recommend the civilian version.

Why the AUG:

1. Bullpup design - take a long barrel and accuracy into places that an Armalite can only dream of

2. Ambidextrous design - left or right, this is the rifle for you

3. Attached rail - good for all kinds of optics

4. Unconventional design - distinct and fully functional. Distinguish yourself from the Armalite and Kalashnikov hordes

5. Good price - at about the same price as an M4A1 with superior performances. Magazines and such tend to come cheaper than other AEGs

6. Balanced design - at 3.5 kg, it's the heaviest AEG made by Tokyo Marui. It's an extremely solid piece. The weight is in the back, providing oppotunities for movie-style dual-wielding :gun2:

1. Bullpup design - take a long barrel and accuracy into places that an Armalite can only dream of

Not true. M16 and M4s with stabilised and aligned barrels are just as accurate. In fact. A TM Steyr with a 14" barrel can shoot more accurately than one with a 20" barrel. This is because the TM steyr has problems with the rear section of the barrel being made of plastic, causing warping over rough prolonged use from the deformation of the front metal outer barrel's weight on the plastic rear section.

2. Ambidextrous design - left or right, this is the rifle for you

True. Selector can be switched around :) On the real one, no. However selector cuts into your hand to cause blisters from prolonged use during a game. I shoot the real ones and yes after a day or two blisters on your hands where the selector was do appear.

3. Attached rail - good for all kinds of optics

Depends on optics. It also adds more weight onto the gun. Personally speaking the 1.5x is more than plenty for the real steyr and airsoft one is just good as is. I personally owned a TM steyr with a Tasco propoint/Leapers scope/Walther Projection dot/G&P ACOG and the best for the Steyr was the Walther.

4. Unconventional design - distinct and fully functional. Distinguish yourself from the Armalite and Kalashnikov hordes

True. But exchanging magazines can be a problem as sometimes on the field teammates want an extra mag and your Steyr mag is not interchangeable.

5. Good price - at about the same price as an M4A1 with superior performances. Magazines and such tend to come cheaper than other AEG

Generally true, but debateable. I prefer the lighter M4 with just as good an accuracy as the steyr with just as much battery space.

6. Balanced design - at 3.5 kg, it's the heaviest AEG made by Tokyo Marui. It's an extremely solid piece. The weight is in the back, providing oppotunities for movie-style dual-wielding

You don't want heavy for airsoft. If you can get away with a 3kg M4 (which is what the real ones weigh) then go for it. There is no advantage in a Steyr which is as heavy as the real thing but not able to shooting 200-300m and you have to lug it around all day.

The TM Steyr is a very good AEG, but it is still toy like. ABS lower receiver is not solid and flexes, the external barrel bends when you accidentally hit it.

Sure M4s are *beep* at first, and takes a long time to tune. Also metal body kits make the gun hit the 4kg mark which is insane considering the real ones are lighter. But the m4s have a lot of magazine options, and variable stock length which is good for manouvring around , and comparatively lighter and easier to handle than a Steyr.

To make the M4 more balanced, put a 10" barrel in and tightbore it. That would also make the gun a lot more multirole.

AUGs rule. But be warned; AUGs choose their owners. You don't have the right to choose if you should buy an AUG. It'll come to you -- if you're worthy.

False, and true.

False is that AUGs rule. There is really no perfect gun. It depends on how you play, skills you have, skills your buddies have, and the terrain.

True is that AUGs do choose their owners. In our club we had a 60 man whole day game and we figured from team assignments by experience, that all the guys who are above novice but not quite field expedient tends to choose the bullpup rifles (Steyr, P90, FAMAS) while the more field expedient (well those who play in teams and have good overall movement) tends to have M4s, G3s and M16s. It was certainly an interesting discovery.

Again, Steyr is not perfect, but its good as is. But the Steyr isn't as "high speed" as an M4 and certainly in airsoft often it will be a bit of "high speed work" required, even when bush wacking.

Well I don't have 10K$ to blow - so I opted for a CA G36K to start; with a G&P K front-end for added realism, a G&P G36L front-end with bi-pod, a heavy-barrel style outer barrel, a C-MAG, a spare folding stock, a cheek-piece, a rail scope mount and a set of HK416 iron sights.

That way I can swap parts around to create a carbine, a light support weapon and a designated marksman rifle all on one basic platform.

Archived