2-way radios

gunlady

I notice in my latest bargains leaflets that Maplins are offering two options on 2-way sets.

The first is a double sets together with a charging stand, 8 channels with 38 anti-interference codes, up to 3-5 km range (ideal conditions?) and VDX function.

The second is a multi-pack of 4 (quad pack) with 2 twin chargers and batteries, again 8 ch & 38 CTCSS privacy codes.

Now a while back I bought a double pack for about £24, but they were pretty useless even at short ranges if there was a wall between sets. As these are about the same price (although they are different to look at) or less @ £19.99 for the twin set I can't see them being much better. Maybe I wasn't setting mine up right or something because I didn't fiddle much. But at that price they're worth a shot and may help a team comms system if they work.

Just a thought....

Gunlady

The phrase "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. Radios don't need any "setting up". Once you have tuned both of them to the same channel and sub-channel (oh, and adjusted the volumes), you should be able to communicate perfectly. That's all I had to do with my Unidens. But good luck with that and keep us posted as to how well they perform.

The phrase "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. Radios don't need any "setting up". Once you have tuned both of them to the same channel and sub-channel (oh, and adjusted the volumes), you should be able to communicate perfectly. That's all I had to do with my Unidens. But good luck with that and keep us posted as to how well they perform.

Hi,

I shan't be 'testing' any more.

Having said that I went outside the house and put about three brick walls between sets and they still worked okay. So suiable for CQB in buildings...

Gunlady

I just looked on mine and there's only an earphone socket.

Yes. My Uniden is the same. You can get adaptors for different accessories so you can fit Motorola etc. accessories. But on my Uniden, the PTT doesn't work so you have to use the one on the radio itself. But that's pretty cool and I actually prefer it.

Yes. My Uniden is the same. You can get adaptors for different accessories so you can fit Motorola etc. accessories. But on my Uniden, the PTT doesn't work so you have to use the one on the radio itself. But that's pretty cool and I actually prefer it.

Thanks for the info, I am sure everybody will appreciate it.

Gunlady

Archived