KWC M16 GBB Dissassembly Guide + Review

KWC M-16 GBB Disassembly Guide & Review

By: Yeager

Also with a little bit of insight from: Professor K

First things first, This gun is not a GBB, a NBBG, nor does it operate on any modern day gas mechanism. The internals are based on and designed around the simple, but effective BV unit.

Secondly, the rifle I'm reviewing has been fitted with a JAC M-16A2 fore end, receiver and has custom "recoil" weights. Basically my rifle looks a bit different and kicks a tad bit harder but other than that its a regular plain jane KWC M-16.

Ok, with all of that being said on with the review...

First Impressions,

My gun came disassembled direct from a member on www.ClassicAirsoft.net, I had to reassemble it and the stock plastic body was in horrible condition. If I had to compare the stock KWC plastic "export" receiver to anything else it would be a CYMA springer's body. So the first order of business was to source a compatible body [ NOTE: JAC Parts are interchangeable with the KWC as the KWC is almost an exact clone ] After a few days I found a member here on Arnies willing to part with his JAC body and shortly there after I found myself installing it onto the gun. Once I was satisfied with the work I wrapped every threaded piece on the gun with teflon tape and reassembled it [ Note: Teflon tape is almost essential if you don't like leaks on ANY gas gun, it even puts an end to the KJW USP magazine leak! ]

The finished product looked like something like a Bushmaster Police Special "dissipator"

Real thing:

461110514617310002261smqg8.jpg

Airsoft:

kwcm16001bp1.jpg

Loading the Gas & BBs,

Gas:

First, take the rifle and rest it on its muzzle on a CLEAN hard surface (or your shoe in the field. Then take the gas can and stick the nozzle into the valve on the buffer tube, Fill it until gas starts spilling out and leave the gun to sit for about 5-6 minutes while you load the magazines.

Magazine:

My rifle was used, so it didn't come with a loading tool. If your has a loading tool just ignore what I'm about to say and load it like you would any other KWC "push-rod" gun.

First, take your thumb and hold down the brass collar around the nozzle on the magazine, then take your marui speedloader and load it until you can't get anymore bbs into the magazine [ Note: Do not lift the speedloader with the brass collar depressed, unless you fancy having all your bbs come flying out ] Next let go of the brass collar and let it return, then remove the speed loader.

Congrats! your magazine is loaded and ready to go!

Firing, FPS, & Range:

Firing, like any other member of the armalite family is straight forward and fairly simple for the mechanically inclined. First, Pull the charging handle all the way back and let it go. The bolt wont move but the bb will chamber, now take the selector switch off safe and move it into firing position. Pull the trigger and you'll hear a loud cat fart as it literally ###### bbs out of the muzzle.

FPS, I haven't gotten around to buying a chronograph yet so I'm using the coke can method. At 3 feet the gun pierced one side of the can and left a big ding in the otherside. at 6 feet it didn't pierce the can period. which suggests IIRC around 265-280 FPS.

Range, Lucky me! I have enough land to have a firing range! (10 acres!) Normally its setup for .22LR rifles but I took my steel targets and set them up in a line at different ranges ( 50 ft, 80 ft, 100 ft, 150ft). First I aimed the gun at the 50ft marked target and let rip. I managed to keep all of the shots in center mass.

Next, I let rip at the 80 ft target. Groupings were slightly worse but I managed to keep them all inside the target. At 100ft I was also able to keep them inside the target but a few would either get carried by the wind.

However, at 150 ft I wasn't even able to get any bbs out that far. BBs dropped off around the 110 mark, which I guess is to be expected for a gun without hopup.

Overall, its a good gun for what I paid for it. It shoots on par with a stock AEG (range wise) and from a distance sounds like more than just a "Cat fart". With the addition of LRB or a hopup of some sorts I have no doubts I could use this as a DM or even a sniper rifle. If you've got the patience, time, money, and are mechanically inclined this is the gun for you.

Disassembly Guide to come tomorrow!

Cool, keep it coming.  Couple quick questions: how many BBs does the mag hold, and how many BBs can the gun shoot on one full charge of gas?  And how big is the gas reservoir?

1. Capacity reported at 65 rounds per magazine, It can also accept old style JAC magazines which have caps of: 30, 65, and a 100 round drum if you can find one.

2. Its cold, very cold here.. and I can still get off 2 magazines on one fill. (however my propane tank is almost empty so it might not be filling it all the way up, its reported from the previous owner that you can shoot 4 magazines before refilling. I guess we will findout when I get some more propane and it warms up! :D )

3. the entire buffer tube acts as a gas resivor! and unscrews like the real deal, so it might be feisable to mount a bigger, hollow, buffer tube and thread the end to accept the valve. (I think bushmaster buffers are bigger, but I don't want to tear into a 1,200 dollar carbine just to find out! :P )

Disassembly guide! 6 steps to taking your KWC M-16 down to bolts!

Step # 1. Remove the slither buttstock by pulling down on the stock adjustment bar and sliding it back off the buffertube.

kwcm16002im0.jpg

Step #2. Unscrew part number one, and pull back on part number two. Now grip the entire buffer tube in your hand and unscrew it. Part #3 is the valve and looks as if it screws in and out, however you don't need to unscrew the end cap if your just taking it down

kwcm16003ch5.jpg

Ok, now we can see the rear of the upper's internals and the gas valve.

kwcm16004js1.jpg

Part #1 is the gas fill valve that connects the buffer tank to the chamber, do not unscrew this!. Parts #2 and 3 make up the gearbox like shell that the internals sit inside of.

Step #3, Simply put, Unscrew the pistolgrip screw (part #1) and pull down on the pistolgrip (part #2).

kwcm16005or9.jpg

The pistolgrip can be replaced with a real AR-15 grip, Matter of a fact I've got a magpul battle grip on order right now. :)

Step #4, Flip the rifle over and remove the body pins like you would on the real deal.

kwcm16006rj0.jpg

then just pull the upper out of the lower like so..

kwcm16007rj4.jpg

Step #5, Set the selector (#1) to Automatic and with a hex key push it out from the other side, then lift the trigger box out (#2) followed by the buffer tube nut (#3)

kwcm16008if0.jpg

Edited by Yeager

OK, now we can see the internals! they look quite beefy. :)

kwcm16009pm3.jpg

No plastic in there!

Step #6, Pull back on the charging handle to remove the upper's internals.

kwcm16010cs6.jpg

Now we can see the upper's internals! The only plastic piece is the feed nozzle, the rest is all metal!

kwcm16011gl5.jpg

and your done! Reassembly is the complete reverse of this. ;)

Edited by Yeager

An LRB most likely does not work because it's not a BV gun. The barrel is actually stationary, and there's only a small recoiler weight in the back of the barrel to provide delay to bring the ROF down a bit. It's still quite fast.

For an article of the internals, please check out my article: http://www.classicairsoft.net/images/KWC/index.htm

Edited by Sale
An LRB most likely does not work because it's not a BV gun. The barrel is actually stationary, and there's only a small recoiler weight in the back of the barrel to provide delay to bring the ROF down a bit. It's still quite fast.

For an article of the internals, please check out my article: http://www.classicairsoft.net/images/KWC/index.htm

^ good explination, better explination about the internals than I could give.

I'm going to take my front end down to confirm this..

IIRC last time I took apart the foreend it did not have any thing around the barrel like yours does, prehaps because mine has an AEG barrel inplace of the old barrel?

Edit: I paied 350 total with 4 magazines and the NIB JAC receiver.

Edited by Yeager