light-sniping role, equipment etc...

ninja master of coffee

Hi, I'm thinking of getting into a light sniping role (gonna see if I can have a shoot of a VSR or something at a skirmish before I take the plunge just to see if I like the way they shoot). I've already come to some conclusions on kit such as using a VSR-10 as they are fairly comfortable to hold, get a good write up as far as accuracy is concerned and aren't too heavy or too expensive! I'm also think a glock 18c AEP for back-up, I know some people go as far as even carrying a carbine but that seems pretty cumbersome. I'm not planning on using a scope simply because I don't see the point, I can hit a tin can with a .177 air rifle at a pretty good range with iron sites so why I'd need a scope to hit a person at a similar range I don't know. I suppose spotting might be an application but that something I'll come to a conclusion on after I bought the rifle, if I buy it...

Beyond all that I'm a little uncertain on things. A full gillie suit seems just a tad extreme and expensive. I know there are light guillie like affairs (called sniper shrouds or something?) are they worth it? My thinking is that decent cammo clothing and a reasonably camouflaged gun would be fine. Question is, what cammo? My final question is load baring equipment, since I'd be carrying at most a rifle, a few spare mags for that, maybe some binos and an side arm, what would do the job best? I'm guessing an load bearing equipment that locates stuff around your chest/front and thighs is gonna be a pain so I'd want a hip holster and keep ammo in the same kind of place.....?

P.S. I'm on something of a budget so don't post any suggestions that involve highly expensive, guchi kit.

Cheers!

Some British/German belt kit, pouches etc should do you on the cheap:

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk

British DPM is a highly regarded camouflage, and cheap too ;D

Regarding ghillie suits, there's a whole thread about them right in this section, I suggest you read some of the stickies:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...showtopic=88030

You'd be best off with a head shoulder area design for a pretty effective but able and mobile ghillie suit.

They are very cheap if you make them yourself :)

Hmmm, good idea on the belt and pouches. Why the hell didn't I think of that? I have to say I'm not into DPM, its a good pattern but the clothes are uncomfortable, I had some for a while but I use US tri-colour BDUs now because they are just way more comfortable to wear. Are there any other patterns that are better than average? If so, where would I get them?

Have read a bit on the guillies thread, is interesting. Seems one of the best camouflaged people there didn't even have a proper guillie, just some camo clothes with vegetation attached and then placed himself well. If I did any kind of guillie I'd just go for the head and shoulders approach like you've suggested, after all, its the most recognizable thing about a person. Also camouflage the gun obviously as that tends to be noticeable.

Thanks for all the help!

Flecktarn works wonders so I'd think about that if you dont like DPM.

As for load bearing equipment, back when I used a VSR what I used was an alice belt with 2 m16 mag pouches and a viper belt holster for my M93R AEP (I changed it to a us M12 once I got a different side arm and would recomend one of those for a G18). I also zip tied a 9mm mag pouch onto the sling of the rifle which held a VRS mag perfectly.

With the dividers removed from the m16 mag pouches I could get all sorts in them. I used one for spare ammo and a speed loader and it still had plenty of space in it. The other one I used for my AEP mags and spare ammo for that as I used .25 for the VSR and .2 for the AEP and didnt want to get them mixed up.

One of the pouches would easily hold a pair of compact binos if you wanted to carry some of those.

You can always make a ghillie blanket or hide that you can roll up when you don't need it.

The basic materials will be cheaper than the flightsuit-type ghillie outfits.

As long as you get it dirty and toss in a few native twigs and leaves it'll work quite well.

Also, anything that breaks up your outline is good.

I've managed to hide in trees as a kid simply by adopting an odd stance and moving slightly with the wind like the branches do.

That was without any kind of camo in kids clothes.

The best hiding places are the least likely and often overlooked ;)

You spot a sniper by recoginising the human outline or things that aren't quite natural, so anything that fools the eye for even the brief instant you are in someones line of sight is good! :)

A snipers rucksack can also be used under a camo net to look like a log or mossy rock etc. but still gives you a good object to hide behind and rest your rifle forend.

I could count the number of people who use little rucks for gear on one finger ;)

They're good for stashing gear and keeping it quiet and out of sight!!!

Archived