Tappet Plate - Help

Spam

Quick version of the post - what does the tappet plate do?

Long version -

Gearbox in my G3 died the other week there - a BB got lodged in the barrel near the end of a days skirmishing, so took the gun back to the Safe zone, cracked it open, and dislodged the offending bit o plastic with a cleaning rod. Whilst I had the barrel off, I decided to test fire it once to make sure there were no other probs. Unfortunately I pulled the trigger and the entire front end of my gearbox sheared off and sprung half way across the safezone.

Look on my face was priceless to say the least.

Stripped it down when I got home and checked everything over - all looked intact bar the gearbox shell, so ordered up a new shell, it arrived a couple of days ago, and I sat down tonight to swap everything over into the new shell.

Unfortunately it looks like my tappet plate is borked too :/

The little spring hook on the bottom has snapped off and the rear part which catches the gear has also broken off. I have rebuilt as much as I can without the plate, but I'm now sitting wondering, what does it actually do? and is it absolutely necessary in the gearbox?

Absolutely. Without a tappet plate, the gearbox wouldn't even be able to load BBs. Its what moves back and forth when fired to chamber new BBs. The gun would jam, misfeed, make a poor air seal, and get FUBARed.

I can't believe you're asking this when you know enough to open up a gearbox- why else would it be there? It's like asking if an anti-reversal latch is necessary.

Absolutely. Without a tappet plate, the gearbox wouldn't even be able to load BBs. Its what moves back and forth when fired to chamber new BBs. The gun would jam, misfeed, make a poor air seal, and get FUBARed.

I can't believe you're asking this when you know enough to open up a gearbox- why else would it be there? It's like asking if an anti-reversal latch is necessary.

Cool it. He's asking for help not a lecture.

Without the tappet plate, your gun would just be blowing air on the bbs as they all come flying out of the magazine. Plain and simple, the tappet is attached to the air nozzle which is the part that keeps the bbs from flying through the hop up chamber and also forms the seal between the piston/cylinder assembly and the barrel/hop up chamber. Without the tappet, you would not be able to put the air nozzle in the mechbox because there would be nothing to keep it in place and not having an air nozzle is bad news ;).

So yes, you need the tappet.

Ok cheers guys.

Next question - anywhere reasonably priced I can get one in the UK, or am I better ordering one up off ehobbyasia or wgc?

Ehobbyasia is a good place to buy, I've bought stuff before from them and their awesome.

Next poster down, shipping costs shouldn't be that expensive because tappet plates aren't that heavy. 8.5 GBP is 16 bucks USD+ shipping. I bet ehobby asia would be cheaper, as their prices are in USD.

Archived