Marushin AEP UZI

hawaiianjuggernaut

It was news to me, but Marushin makes (or shall I say, MADE) a non-shell ejecting UZI?

I saw one for sale locally and the guy seems to be asking a decent rate. To his knowledge it was produced in 1999 but its all still functional and comes with original stuff.

Thinking of picking it up for gits, shiggles and fondling.

Anyone had experience with them?

not sure what exactly your seeing, but Marushin did at one time make an AEG UZI with a respectable gearbox. i spent some time trying to get my hands on one.

while it doesn't have the best loading mechanism, it should, or at least marushin made a run of them, with metal bodies. which is ultimately why they are attractive.

im pretty sure Andy has or had one and used it.

there is a good amount if info available online about them if you do a google search.

Have had my share of time with these guns. Where to start, where to start.... They are one of my favorite old school aegs, I have never heard of ones with metal bodies, but it could be that people have convertede the model gun version metal body to fit. They have plenty of metal parts though. The reciever and grip are abs plastic, but very tough. The folding stock, sling mounts and outer magazine casing are blued steel, very good looking. The outer barrel and all other small parts including top cover are made of sturdy but heavy pot-metal. The cocking arm is fixed but can easily be modded with a spring, so that you can pull it back and it slams forward. Ejection port is fixed.

The insides are propriatory , gears, gearbox and bushings are pot metal like marui gears. The moter is housed in the forward grip and is very powerful. Trigger mech uses a micro switch. There is very little battery space and it used to use these special small batteries, but with lipo's today it should be no problem. Oh and its got adjustable hop, if you remove the top cover.

Have to go to work now but can post more info tonight, also need to find some notes I made about it back in the day. Post more questions and I shall try to answer tonight.

not sure what exactly your seeing, but Marushin did at one time make an AEG UZI with a respectable gearbox. i spent some time trying to get my hands on one.

while it doesn't have the best loading mechanism, it should, or at least marushin made a run of them, with metal bodies. which is ultimately why they are attractive.

im pretty sure Andy has or had one and used it.

there is a good amount if info available online about them if you do a google search.

The metal body is what caught my eye in the listing. I didn't think they really had metal bodies period in that era, which would make this one so unique.

Have had my share of time with these guns. Where to start, where to start.... They are one of my favorite old school aegs, I have never heard of ones with metal bodies, but it could be that people have convertede the model gun version metal body to fit. They have plenty of metal parts though. The reciever and grip are abs plastic, but very tough. The folding stock, sling mounts and outer magazine casing are blued steel, very good looking. The outer barrel and all other small parts including top cover are made of sturdy but heavy pot-metal. The cocking arm is fixed but can easily be modded with a spring, so that you can pull it back and it slams forward. Ejection port is fixed.

The insides are propriatory , gears, gearbox and bushings are pot metal like marui gears. The moter is housed in the forward grip and is very powerful. Trigger mech uses a micro switch. There is very little battery space and it used to use these special small batteries, but with lipo's today it should be no problem. Oh and its got adjustable hop, if you remove the top cover.

Have to go to work now but can post more info tonight, also need to find some notes I made about it back in the day. Post more questions and I shall try to answer tonight.

The one he listed is stated as a metal body gun. I also do know about the model gun version Marushin produced, but I don't know if the bodies would be compatible. I wouldn't imagine they were.

Well this thing certainly has piqued my interest; I'm trying to buy it off him, just once he calls me back haha.

Ok here goes, found all my old info on the Marushin Uzi AEG:

Apparently first released in 1997, whereas the Marushin cartridge gas blow back Uzi was released first in 1988 and later in 1990. The molds for the body might have been the same, seeing as the rear part the body over the stock has a small hole that was used on the gas version for a valve.

Specs:

length with open stock: 655cm

length with closed stock 475cm

weight without battery and mag is 2090g

Mags are either 55rds or 220rds hi-capa.

Batteries                                                                                                                                                                              The proprietary batteries were made by Sanyo and released by Marushin, 8,4V 500mah. Others were made by another company and are identifiable because they are yellow and bubbly and look really strange.

Gears                                                                                                                                                                             The designs of the internals are also quite proprietary. A two part metal shell acts as the gearbox and holds the three gears. These are well cast maybe a little better than stock Marui gears. They are not in any way compatible with regular AEG gears, and the spur gear is prone to breakage if everything is not properly lined up.

Shimming                                                                                                                                                                            Shimming is provided by recesses in the gearbox shell and in the different sized bushings.

Bushings                                                                                                                                                                            These are approximately 6mm with an inside hole of 3mm. The Sector gear bushing is 8mm and the inside hole is 4mm. I am unsure of the metal material used for these but I have seen them break. In a tight spot one can use standard 6mm bushings for the bevel and spur gear, but only on the left side of the gearbox. Right side uses completely different bushings that work as shims. There is a reversal prevention latch situated behind the sector gear and held in place by a spring. (This will come flying out, when removing the gear, so be careful.)

Motor                                                                                                                                                                                   The motor is situated under the inner barrel and the fuse box in the forward grip. The motor is marked: “Marushin Spec 1 Hi-power motor. Especially designed for Marushin electric airgun.” The motor is connected to a two piece steel pinion shaft running into the gearbox. The two parts are connected by two offset brass pieces held in place by grub screws and covered by a single brass cylinder. You need to take apart the pinion shaft to remove the gearbox, and remember to loctite the grub screws when reassembling! Some years back there was a rumor that some of these motors were too powerful and would cause the fuse to burn. I have seen this in an Uzi but I can’t be sure that it wasn’t the wiring or the switch assembly that was faulty.

Good lord I seem to have way too much info on this gun. I have to stop now because I have to put my son to bed! Will continue tomorrow describing the feeding mech, cylinder assembly, barrel, and all the rest.

Ok here goes, found all my old info on the Marushin Uzi AEG:

Apparently first released in 1997, whereas the Marushin cartridge gas blow back Uzi was released first in 1988 and later in 1990. The molds for the body might have been the same, seeing as the rear part the body over the stock has a small hole that was used on the gas version for a valve.

Specs:

length with open stock: 655cm

length with closed stock 475cm

weight without battery and mag is 2090g

Mags are either 55rds or 220rds hi-capa.

Batteries                                                                                                                                                                              The proprietary batteries were made by Sanyo and released by Marushin, 8,4V 500mah. Others were made by another company and are identifiable because they are yellow and bubbly and look really strange.

Gears                                                                                                                                                                             The designs of the internals are also quite proprietary. A two part metal shell acts as the gearbox and holds the three gears. These are well cast maybe a little better than stock Marui gears. They are not in any way compatible with regular AEG gears, and the spur gear is prone to breakage if everything is not properly lined up.

Shimming                                                                                                                                                                            Shimming is provided by recesses in the gearbox shell and in the different sized bushings.

Bushings                                                                                                                                                                            These are approximately 6mm with an inside hole of 3mm. The Sector gear bushing is 8mm and the inside hole is 4mm. I am unsure of the metal material used for these but I have seen them break. In a tight spot one can use standard 6mm bushings for the bevel and spur gear, but only on the left side of the gearbox. Right side uses completely different bushings that work as shims. There is a reversal prevention latch situated behind the sector gear and held in place by a spring. (This will come flying out, when removing the gear, so be careful.)

Motor                                                                                                                                                                                   The motor is situated under the inner barrel and the fuse box in the forward grip. The motor is marked: “Marushin Spec 1 Hi-power motor. Especially designed for Marushin electric airgun.” The motor is connected to a two piece steel pinion shaft running into the gearbox. The two parts are connected by two offset brass pieces held in place by grub screws and covered by a single brass cylinder. You need to take apart the pinion shaft to remove the gearbox, and remember to loctite the grub screws when reassembling! Some years back there was a rumor that some of these motors were too powerful and would cause the fuse to burn. I have seen this in an Uzi but I can’t be sure that it wasn’t the wiring or the switch assembly that was faulty.

Good lord I seem to have way too much info on this gun. I have to stop now because I have to put my son to bed! Will continue tomorrow describing the feeding mech, cylinder assembly, barrel, and all the rest.

Thanks mate for this info, now at least I got some specs on it. Info on this gun is nearly non-existent online.

The continuing saga of the Marushin Uzi aeg.

Feeding mech                                                                                          

The feeding mech deserves some mention. Inside the pistol grip is a cut-off lever that insures that the bb’s don’t come rolling out when ejecting the mag. This is important because for the bb’s to pass from the mag to the chamber, they have to pass through 11,5cm spring tubing. They are activated by the spring in the mag, thus acting as plungers for the rest of the bb’s. So for the uzi to fire it constantly needs about 20 bb’s in this tube. When using standard 55rd mags it is useful to load a mag insert it, eject it and reload it, that is if the feed mech is empty to begin with! As a safety feature there is a cam connected to the cut-off lever in the pistol grip. This connects with the firing lever that is actuated by the trigger. It prevents the gun from firing if there is no mag inserted. This feature can be disabled by removing the cam, if you want to be able to empty the 20 remaining bb’s from the hopper tube, (you will of course need to shoot upside down to get these bb’s to feed).

The reason for this odd and unhandy feed mech is because the gearbox and cylinder assembly are situated right above the pistol grip, the chamber itself being just above the front of the trigger guard. One might have thought to move all the internals to the rear so that the mag could feed directly into the chamber. But the rear portion of the gun is completely empty to store the battery.

Cylinder assembly                                                                                     

This is incased between two pieces of metal also acting as piston guides. The whole thing is held in place by 4 screws inside the receiver, two behind the top of the pistol grip and two just behind the chamber. The left part of this metal casing also serves as the non functional ejection port. The nozzle is offset from the cylinder, the air being led through a small space in the metal part connecting the front of the cylinder casing. This small space is accessible through a large screw at its top. This is worth remembering if you for some reason need to clean it without taking the whole gun apart.

The front of the cylinder assembly contains no less than 5 o-rings, so remember to keep them well lubed. The o-rings not in contact with any moving parts can be wrapped in Teflon tape to insure a better seal. The cylinder itself is made of brass, it’s about 5cm long with an outside diameter of 2,8cm and inside its 2,6cm and slightly beveled at the rear. The piston with head is about 5,3cm long and made of a hard plastic material, it contains 10 teeth of which the first is metal.

The spring guide is made from solid brass. The spring is 10,8cm long, the outside diameter is 1,34 cm and the inside is 1cm. The forward part of the spring has double the amount of coils (can’t remember how many though).

Barrel assembly                                                                                       

The motor is fastened to a cylindrical piece of metal which is threaded in front to accommodate the outer barrel. This is in one piece unlike most other Uzi models. This keeps the inner barrel and hop mech in place and there is quite a bit of room between it and the inner barrel so one might wish to wrap some Teflon tape around the inner barrel where it rests in the outer barrel. To detach the metal cage which holds the motor and barrel/hop assembly one needs to completely unscrew the front sight post (ccw). Under it is a screw that needs to be unscrewed.

At the rear of the bb chamber is a spring fastened brass cylinder, this acts as part of the loading nozzle. Most of the hop assembly is made from brass and pot-metal.

The hop-up is a regular old school screw on rubber washer arrangement. Be careful when removing the hop screw, as it is held in place by a tiny spring and plunger (they will come flying out). On top of the hop are six tiny numbers, to aid in adjustment. It is worth noting that the hole in the barrel for the hop washer can have course edges and one might wish to sand the down a bit.

The barrel is brass and 19cm long. The outer diameter is 8mm and the inner is about 6,08mm. I am unsure if the length of the barrel is mated to the un-ported cylinder’s air volume.

Misc                                                                                                  

I have never tried one brand new from the box but supposedly they run about 310fps. Well used ones with the hop set for 0,2g bb’s run from 250-285fps. I can’t for the life of me remember the rps, but I think it is above 15rps with large 8,4v batteries. Oh yeah and it uses a mini tamiya connecter.

It seems 3P (3 pylonnes) now known as Cybergun distributed some of these in 1999. They even had an exploded view of one on their homepage.

In my opinion they are great little guns, but if any of the crucial gear parts brake, they are impossible to fix!

• 2 weeks later...

cb02910dd604e873ac9fa70248ed1ab2.jpg2678d94ad7a2d3340401b5968507408d.jpgd12929da21d4da72240e9cebbbf9b0b8.jpg1195c57ddd9f0f3707214c9655c5bf7c.jpg22385b8ef9e1016a8101ac0de0d5772c.jpgc1cc50d37be68203f9ce7aee0e05b178.jpg7e4b4e75a79a76ea63e5a16d1f474881.jpg7cd11f252bac365578e00ac9f232d661.jpg671923de9c37549008ed645d9e750168.jpg261ae3436cd0ba89aab4af38d2010d5f.jpg9bb1c3b1354bb5ac9016b1588ab8dd4c.jpg

4ca847d7f3033881c41eb9635dc30390.jpg

Here are some quick snaps I got; apologies for the awful lighting lol.

The thing is working excellently, shoots very fast with an 8.4 NiMH, which I might add, is not full. There is no semi, the fire selector is cosmetic. I did do my best to get a shot of the innovative hopup concept with the plate in the magwell base.

More to come tomorrow.

I've got a plastic bodied one, bought to fiddle with as it wasn't 100%.  I can agree with the RoF (when it works). Sadly part of it that holds the gears in place is cracked and I've not sat down to work out if there is enough meat in the potmetal to drill and pin it to stop it locking up.

You do need hands like a Lego man to hold the grip!

Let me tell you a depressing story from the real world. Once upon a time there was an airsoft shop in Copenhagen, the owner was a pipe smoking pain in the 'what have you', but he had a lot of old airsoft stuff. He had a whole box full of spare Marushin UZI AEG parts, pistons, springs, gears even mags (new in box). He had ordered it from the factory when the UZI was first released.

So one day I decide that despite his rather unorthodox prices and general lack of manners, I want to buy a whole lot of these spare parts. Money in hand I skipped happily to the store only to find it closed. Odd I thought to myself!?! So I decided to come back later that week, still closed!

Next day I read the paper: "Notorious gun store owner arrested for selling firearms to local gangs". Police seized everything including that wonderful box of UZI AEG parts! Had I only come two days earlier!

A lot of the seized stuff was later sold off by other sellers as many a Danish airsofter can testify. So somewhere in a dark corner of a warehouse next to the ark of the covenant and Jimmy Hoffa's body sits a box containing all the spare parts for the Marushin UZI AEG that one could ever hope for.

"Sigh" Wish I had a simpler hobby. :rolleyes:

Yup, true story. It may be that some fellow airsoft person bought the box without knowing what the parts where for. Still hoping to find it one day on some obscure classifieds section.

Story still makes me wince in pain.

Also the dude had a stack of the rare Masudaya detachable guns, for about 40 usd. Didn't know what they were, so never bought one!

• 2 weeks later...

Son of a ......(mumble, mumble)! BTW you can see on the boxes that they are the version distributed by cybergun. The old version has a small wirtten indorsement and pic. of Uzi Gal.

Wonder if that dude would swap an Uzi for a hi-cap mag? Sometimes the mags come up for sale on places like classicairsoft.

Archived