Steyr TMP Hardkick Version

nuclear_darkness

iv had my tmp for about a year now and its still going strong. id get one if i were you id just be carefull where you buy spare mags at my 2nd mag wont feed the bb's now for some reason which is strange since it worked fine for months b4 it decided to stop working. the magazine that the gun came with is still working great and the gun itself is in perfect condition just be sure to use 134a or a mixture of 134a and green gas since it is hardkick you really dont need to blow your gun up :)

The TMP is a great gun, assuming you take care of it and do a bit of work.

The main problems with the TMP are the weak rear upper receiver, weak recoil spring, and the nozzle cracking.

The main problem (In my experience) is that the nozzle cracks. This is very hard to see, and I never really noticed it (seeing as a small crack in black plastic isn't the most obvious thing in the world)

When this happens the gas doesn't shoot the BB from the gun, just cycles the bolt. Because of this BBs will get built up and either roll out the barrel, or get jammed in the rest of the gun.

You can stop this by taking great care *NOT* to slam the magazine in the gun. From what I can tell, the metal top of the magazine hits the nozzle when the bolt is forward. Over time it cracks the nozzle.

The other problem I hear about (but never came across in my two TMPs, that used almost 100% GG) is the top back of the receiver breaking off. The bolt is stopped by the end of the recoil spring guide rod, which is seated in a plastic tab that sticks up from the lower receiver. When the bolt recoils, it hits the recoil spring guide rod, which causes the tab to flex a bit, putting stress on the upper rear of the receiver. The area where it connects to the rest of the upper is very thin, so it breaks quite easily.

To stop this, you simple make a bolt buffer. This is something that stops the bolt BEFORE it recoils far enough to hid the guide rod. There are many ways to do this, but the most simple way is to epoxy a piece of plastic to the inside of the lower receiver (behind the bolt) There is quite a bit of room where the hammer assembly is kept, and the lower receiver is lined with a metal plate. When the bolt hits the buffer, the force is sent into the stronger lower receiver, so you won't break the top. This also makes the gun cycle a bit faster because the bolt doesn't have to travel so far each time.

The other thing I would suggest is to install a stiffer recoil spring. The stock one gives cocking the gun a mushy feeling, and the slower ROF. This also causes the bolt to get caught while trying to feed the BBs. With a stronger spring the heavy metal bolt has a lot more force behind it, and won't have any trouble chambering another round.

Have a look on the news page and follow the links. I also have a TMP hard kick (and six mags) I think it is a damn site more fun to use than an aeg. I will be carrying out the mod to the buffer very soon and let you know how it turns out.

Archived