Hybrid M4/Cap Rifle

Cons

Those might not actually be illegal.

For example, Plug Fire Cartridge Model Guns are a cap based model toy gun that utilises an explosive propellant (7mm and 5mm caps) that are completely legal to import and own in the UK. Although PFC model gun rounds (or carts) do not contain any form of projectile, if an object of whatever shape or size was simply dropped down the barrel in a sort of musket fashion and just one PFC cap (or cart) was fired then the explosive energy of that cart/cap would be powerful enough to project that object/missile out of the barrel, irrespective of how powerful or how far that object/missile travelled. To be defined as a firearms, it only needs to fire just one shot bullet or missile. The Firearms Act isn't interested in how far a shot bullet/missile travels or how powerfully it left the barrel. Only the ability to fire a shot bullet or other missile.

It's all down to it's readily convertability to be able to fire a shot bullet or other missile that could make it legal or illegal.

So on that note, those BB things could technically be legal to import and own, but could then become illegal if it was used to fire a shot bullet or other missile such as the BB.

Rather than relying on heresay, the best people who can confirm whether said item is a firearm or not is either the Home Office and/or Customs.

Speak to your local Firearms Officer/Home Office/Customs and explain what it is, give as much information as possible, and see what they say.

If they turn round and say "NO!" then there's your answer.

If they turn round and say it's OK then, again, there's your answer. Little tip - If you don get confirmation from the powers that be that they are OK, make sure you get it in writing.

Remember: Rate of fire has nothing to do with it, only the ability to fire one shot bullet or other missile.

Got one myaself... it isn´t such a big thing either, a bit too light for my ow taste. But it sounds nice, and the shell ejecting stuff makes it ideal for videos. The bad thing is that the mag holds up to EIGHT rounds only, and the ABS plastic is a bit flimsy.

A nice toy or for display, but it ain´t good for much else.

Steve Pearson, those blank guns have a plug in the barrel preventing any sort of muzzle loading. If they are anything like the PFC M9 my friend has there is simply a vent in the chamber for all the gasses and a plug about half way down the barrel.

As for them being illegal in the states, not true. If I can (and have) mail order black powder guns (cap locks, flint locks and cannon) then a cap gun that shoots BB's at non lethal velocity isn't a problem.

I wasn't responding to the legalities of the US, as that doesn't concern us over here. I was responding to the legalities of the UK, as the thread was created by a UK member with further posts by UK members stating they where illegal.

Post still stands - if in doubt, check with the Police/Home Office/Customs ect.

If they say it's OK, then you're good to go.

Gotcha, I can see that. Nope, only the part about the blank guns was directed specificly at him. I kinda figured that the "As for them being illegal in the states" would indicate i was refering to those that had said that.

Archived