Zeroing Sights...

xDieter736x

A G3 and this sight: http://www.kapowwe.com/Merchant2/merchant....=RED-DOT-SIGHTS ?

I felt this was a question that would be regarded as highly nooblish, so...

I ask this because the actual mount for the red dot is where the original sight was (I had to remove the original rear sight because it's an MP5 mount, so it was in the way). Anyway, seeing as the actual sight is above the front sight, is it impossible to zero it?

Thanks.

Not at all. Should be fine. Remember that to zero a sight, you fire and adjust so that the BB;s go where you aim, and this process is entirely independent of where the scope is mounted, in most cases*.

As long as it's reasonably level and bolted down securely, it'll be fine.

*IE, if you have a scope mount that's, like, a foot high elevating your scope then it's gona be a mite tricky to zero it ;)

Thanks for your reply.  But, if the sight is looking over the front sight, wouldn't that mean to compensate for the sight placement, the hop-up would have to be set very high, and thus, make shooting ridiculous?

no, the best way to zero a sight is to set your hop up to give you your flatest trajectory and distance, then zero your sight to it... If your sight wont zero (which it should) then adjust the mount or the ring holding the sight in so that it IS zeroed.

What type of mountbase do you have?

MP5 ones should fit G3's without having to remove the sights.

As for zeroing the red dot

set your hop as you would normally, set up a target at the bottom of the garden, shoot at the target aiming with the dot, adjust the dot so it points where the bb hit.

it might take a while to get it zero'ed properly but its worth it to have a properly set dot sight.

It really helps if you can secure the gun in a workbench or something so you can adjust the scope without moving the gun.

Thanks for your reply.  But, if the sight is looking over the front sight, wouldn't that mean to compensate for the sight placement, the hop-up would have to be set very high, and thus, make shooting ridiculous?

I think you're missing the point of a red-dot here:

The dot should point in the same place no matter what angle you look through the red dot sight, so it does not matter if you're looking over your iron sights.

Hope that helped,

Kin

Right-o. Here's a picture of my gun and mount. See, I would have to chop part of the mount in order to retain the use of my irons. But, my point is is that I don't think I can adjust the elevation to be low enough to match up the trajectory of the BB. I'm still out on this one. Thanks for your help, though.

IMG_0155.jpg

Ah. The sight axis does not have to be on the bore axis. That would be impossible. Notice that your iron sights start off a couple of centimeters above the barrel line anyways. Despite the difference, the irons can be zeroed. Same thing with optics, only the height difference is slightly greater, so the angle you end up zeroing at is slightly different. We're talking hundredths of a degree at a respectable range.

You want the sight axis to intersect the shot trajectory at your ideal sighting range (basically the average distance you would have to engage a target at). You don't need the sight line to actually be completely matched with the shot trajectory (which isn't a straight line anyways). You only need them to intersect at one point. When you adjust the elevation on the sight, it doesn't actually MOVE the sight line up or down, it only changes the ANGLE of the sight line so that it intersects the shot trajectory at a point closer or farther from you. If you're closer or farther to the target than where you zeroed at, your shot will be off, but not enough to actually make any sort of difference. Just try zeroing it. I think you'll find that works just fine. Remember to zero the sight to the shot and not the hopup to the sight.

If you've adjusted the elevation all the way down and it still isn't zeroed, your problem is the mount. It's either on crooked or obstructed in some way and setting the sight at an odd angle.

the red dot doesnt need to look through the front sight, ( i think thats his problem, thinking it needs to look through in place of the rear sight.)

set your hop, then move the dot in the sight to wherethe bb goes, with no reference to the irons. Just on its own, the dot will be accurate

Archived