Making a SAW

sluggertron

It's that kind of attitude that lost us our empire. ;)

It's not an impossible project to complete, it's just very difficult. If this is what he wants to do then I don't think anyone has the right to tell him not to.

Like I said, if he needs any help then all he has to do is drop a pm; and I will help out as much as I can.

Funnily enough I'm with The Americans On This one. What the hell would you Know About loosing our empire? Hahah!

But seriously Back to topic, I'll give you credit If you complete this task. I Just Don't Think You will get the standard of weaponary for your money from scratch as you could of by buying An G&P OR CA at the start. But then again You n00bs things you can build anything. A version 2 gearbox will be fine, And I'm sure using an MP5 Structure Wouldn't be a problem. I'm more worried about shaping the SOLID STEEL complete body kit for this 'M249'.

well now, im not a "n00b" as you put it. I have been airsofting for a number of years now and I believe my engineering capability's, along with my machining experience, so i would consider my self informed.

Back to the subject

i have recently acquired a Famas gearbox and am about to purchase a quality motor and install and m100. I know there are other needed upgrades and i just didn't feel like typing them out because im not at that stage. comment and ideas welcome, thanks.

Looks good man. I know this might be a bit forward thinking (and no doubt expensive), but if you can find a laser CAD machine; you could bulid your schematics on a 3D program, then the machine would build it for you out of a high density foam. This could be done on a smaller scale just to see if your calculations are in proportion without bulding the WHOLE gun first.

Cheers

bear in mind all this putty and foam youve mentioned will go through alot of stress when used in the final weapon.

for the cost of it the manufactured versions would fare much better. these companies spend thousands testing these products to ensure they withstand (most of) the bumps and tumbles that come with airsofting , by paying for thier weapon youre getting those tests and designs for next to nothing. by building it yourself your spending maybee more money for something that may feel as though it will fall apart any minute.

im not saying dont do it cos its good to see people undertake such endevours. but really really think about what you want to get out of this because as domeone else said earlier it will not turn out as good as you think it will.

just a thought

• 2 weeks later...

having had some experience with a few seemingly improbable projects ("craziness" is what a few called them <_< ) here what i think:

first: don't worry too much about exact dimensions. a few mms here and there won't matter if the thing looks right. the five-feet-rule of komanda groza sez if it looks good from five feet, the small details won't really matter. it's airsoft, isn't it?

candyman, for one, iirc, worked from pictures. so does ledpocket, too, i think. i worked mainly from pics to extrapolate the relative dimensions when i did my mini beryl and AR-SF. exact dimensions would be a real help, of course, if you can get them.

second: sad to hear you gave up on the utg mekbx. ACMgamers have been using cyma and JG meks for fps up to >2J and ROFs up to 35rps. granted that you are willing to spend more on the upgrades, then it can be done with some reinforcement tricks here and there. these things (upgrades and reinforcement) will be required by SAW performance parameters.

be aware that at SAW rof, bb feeding will be one of the main issues you will have to tackle, imho.

third: aluminum for the body, imho, would be better than molded plastic -- flexible yet strong enough, easier to work on, and lighter. cnc body from solid blocks maybe for after you've made the first version to work well but for the first time it will too much hassle to get the component placements right.

last: i think you're doing right by starting with the easier-to-do parts first.

cheers,

zT :assassin:

Archived