WE Hi-Capa 5.1 or TM Hi-Capa 5.1?

IvanD

Hey all,

Something that has been troubling me all day...

My M15 has died on me, but at the moment I don't have the money to get it fixed. Therefore, I have been gaming with my pistol lately. And I have basically fallen in love with GBBs even more...

Which lead to my decision, that I want a pistol that is able to be upgraded with almost anything and everything. I landed on the Hi-capas.

I have decided on 5.1 but another thing troubles me. Which brand should I get?

Price isn't the biggest problem as WE costs only 100HKD less than TM.

However, I have been thinking I want to add a black metal slide to it, and make this a overall black weapon, however the WE model features a... grey-ish frame and body? TM wins this round, as it comes with a metal black frame... Meaning one less upgrade for a full metal pistol.

However I have heard claims and read reviews that the TM hi-capa does not perform that well....

What do you guys think?

All you hi-capa lovers out there...

Thanks!

IvanD

I'm in no way very experienced with handguns, but the general consensus is that TM > WE, more gun to gun consistancy. Heard lots of things about some WE's being great, and some having cycling problems from the get go. Also heard that the nozzle on WE's are very tempermental. TM's are also generally regarded as more reliable. Plus, the WE's have sluggish blowback, as they use "pot metal", for lack of a better word.

TM. Period.

What you gain for that measly additional 100HKD is WELL worth it.

Regarding the Trijicon sights, they will fit the Hi Capa with the right RS model and proper filing/fitting. Try to find something as close to a Bomar 60° X .359 cut on it.

RS steel sights will require a lot of fitting depending on what slide you use. Both of my SD slides ( V12 and Kimber) required fitting of the blowback chamber and/or rear sight. So using a real steel which is set for a true dove tail will require real fitting.

I think the TM is a safer choice, WEs that work are supposed to be great. Too bad a lot that come out of the factory are lemons.

IvanD, I responded to your PM'ed question about this. Hkssr20det is right: It can be done, but the closest you can find to what you need, the less fitting you'll have to do.

The Kimber model Trijicon makes (model KB01) is a Novak style, not Bomar. The Hi Capa 4.3 uses Novak sights, and the 5.1 uses Bomar. Assuming you want the 5.1, the latter Bomar type is what you are looking for.

I have seen 3 dot adjustable Tritium sights for $80-$110 on a few occasions, but those were already mounted and I don't know where you could find them. Especially considering the fact that Trijicon's website doesn't list one.

Keep searching. You'll figure it out. Are you firmly set on Trijicon's? There are some other alternatives...

Have you considered the TM Hi Capa 4.3 instead of the 5.1? It is just as good (if not better) than the 5.1 from an out-of-the-box standpoint, and it will take a  Novak cut Trijicon a lot easier than trying to find a Bomar for the 5.1.

oh?

in what respects is it better?

modifying any RS sights to fit airsoft is a royal *badgeress*, no matter how you look at it.

with the hicapa series, it might be even worse, compared to WA, as hicapa sights need to properly mate with the blowback chamber...consider also, that most sights are hardened steel.

if you are hell bent on tritium novaks, it is easier to buy the freedom art novak styled 4.3 sights and drill them for tritium inserts

for once, the cheaper metals used in airsoft parts is a plus

other tritium sight manufacturers are XS, meprolight/kimber, truglo, heinie, etc

lots of em out there

The 4.3 is "better" because it comes with a harder hammer spring out of the box, making fps-output equal to or greater than the longer-barreled 5.1, also it has a recoil buffer and a different piston head. Whatever.

Ever since I got my 4.3 after selling both my heavily-upgraded 5.1s (still not really sure why I did that), I've been missing a 5.1 terribly. The 4.3 just doesn't feel or look right. It lacks the manly length of the 5.1, and the eye-catching chrome details. I even miss the extended magazine base. Ima get a 5.1 again one day.

The 4.3 is "better" because it comes with a harder hammer spring out of the box, making fps-output equal to or greater than the longer-barreled 5.1, also it has a recoil buffer and a different piston head. Whatever.

later runs of the 5.1 hicapa use the same piston head as the 4.3

didn't know about the hammer spring and the buffer though

the freedom art novaks only have the fiber optic front

the rears are just white dot novak replicas

Well I actually just got my TM 5.1 today and it has so far out performed all my other pistols (TM m9 biohazard, KWA G18c, and WE 1911) I say TM all the way this thing is a beast! The extra HK$100 is well worth the better quality control and reliability in my opinion.

See what happens when you follow good advice?!?!

:)

Enjoy it!

Amen to that.

Honestly, I don't HAVE to have tritium sights.

Would freedom arts' sights look weird on a hi-capa, on a pistol? The long "glowing stick" bothers me...

From my experience, the freedom arts front sight is too high - at least on my 4.3. It made the shots go below the point of aim. On a 5.1 you can just raise the rear sight a bit to compensate, of course.

But yeah, the glow sight does look weird, but it is great for actually aiming, makes a very clear dot on the front sight.

See what happens when you follow good advice?!?!

:)

Enjoy it!

Actually it was more of an impulse buy because of Depot 53's Marui closeout than following advice but anyones advice telling you to buy a TM hicapa 5.1 is great advice that one should follow. I love this thing :D

Guess I'll just stick with normal sights for awhile :P

(I don't aim ;), point and shoot :D)

Oh I was also wondering, if you guys were to do a full tune up on your pistol, (internally speaking)

What would you guys upgrade?

Some easy and effective upgrades include PDI 6.01mm barrel, Nineball air seal, SD POM set, Nineball dyna head, a hammer spring (Guarder 150% may not work properly, I find the Nineball hammer spring to be about equal to the stock 4.3 hammer spring, which is good), and perhaps a hi-flow valve (several good ones to choose from, but from my experience it comes down to a choice between a Guarder and a Carom).

My 4.3 with all of the above upgrades (6.01mm PDI is a 7 inch) outputs in the mid-high 300s, with .25g's. With a Guarder 150% hammer spring it'd probably be even higher, but I prefer to go easy on the hammer springs.

Oh, and if you stick with the plastic slide, you don't need to upgrade to recoil spring. You don't even need to with a metal slide, but it really improves the shooting experience.

No. The slide notch will slowly degrade, nothing like as fast as on a WA though. We're probably talking thousands of shots.

I've only used green gas in my 4.3, and while the slide notch does look a little worn, it'll be a looong time before it'll be unable to lock back the slide on an empty magazine.

Archived