Can't get to grips with gas rifles

Handsome Pete

Ok here me out. Me and a team member have had a kj m700, tanaka aics, m24 and an m40a1 between us. All of which have been sold on because we couldnt get to grips with the accuracy and range. The m40a1 i have now is PCS and fired very few rounds. Ive spent several cans on gas trying to adjust the hopup and zero it to my scope with no luck. At 25 metres my KSC 226 s more accurate and consistant.

Therefore im thinking of moving onto electric. It would be upgraded with a new spring hop and inner barrel. Will this be more consistant and accurate?I owned an m14 which shot beautifully but had to be sold.

I'm very interested in the G&G gr 25. Its the only semi automatic one out there and looks beautiful.

I've thought of spring but dislike the appearance of the tm rifles and also am a not so good with the technical side of things. I have thought of the PSg-1 too but again the whole systemma upgrade and cost is off putting. Ive seen somewhere a GB svd by G&P...any one have any experience?

The m40a1 i have now is PCS and fired very few rounds. Ive spent several cans on gas trying to adjust the hopup and zero it to my scope with no luck. At 25 metres my KSC 226 s more accurate and consistant.

You contradict yourself. How many rounds have you fired through it? What "upgrades" have you fitted?

If you want a good semi auto gun then get the M14 by TM. If you are not so good at the technical side of it then do not open it up and fiddle with it. Just use it stock.

Good Hunting ;)

Ive spent several cans on gas trying to adjust the hopup and zero it to my scope with no luck.

Do not adjust the hopup to match your scope. Adjust the hopup untill you get a level trajectory and THEN zero your scope to where the shots are landing. The scope is the last thing you should be adjusting, get the pcs and hopup set to where you want it first before trying to zero the scope.

dist: i think u may have a point. When i get some gas ill attempt to sort it out that way (if i dont sell it before).

Bushman: yes i do lol. What i mean to say is apart from trying to zeroe it (200 rnds or so) i havent used or upgraded it.

thewallhitme: Gas guns have flaws due to the effects of temperature, cool down etc. Theres nothing wrong with the gun it just me lacking patience and above all, gas.

Would an upgraded electric be more consistant, especially in terms of accuracy?

Tried using a bolt action springer? e.g. aps2 etc.

I personally use an SL9, shoots 327fps downgraded. Accuracy is absolutely amazing on semi auto. It also has full auto capacity, which I never use, but even on full auto the accuracy is majorly above most AEG's i've owned / fired.

M14 / SL9 / PSG-1 = Best Out of the box AEG Sniper Rifles

I think TM PSG-1 doesn't compare to the TM M14 after firing 2 factory standard models.

Good Hunting  ;)

The PSG1 is good for an AEG sniper rifle.

However yea, STAR SL9 / TM M14 = Clear Winners. I use an SL9, and was torn for weeks on which of the above two I would get.

Both look the part, fire amazingly well for AEG's, and have the upgrade potential. PSG1 just requires less work out of the box i guess :)

Until the wiring fries, hop unit splats and it begins to creek that is :D

I don't know why everyone slates the PSG as an AEG sniper, my dad's has had a near bolt action limit fps spring added, metal bushings and he bypassed the electrical safety and runs it off a custom 10.8 2000mah battery he built himself. Other than that everything else is stock and he can engage torso targets out to 60-65m on .3s, and we know that because we were testing it on an outdoor shooting range, headshot range is about 40m certain in good conditions. The creaking isn't that bad either, although I would say its one to buy only if you like the looks more than anything else.

Unless STAR have improved their QC I would personally avoid the SL9, a friend of mine has one and has had nothing but problems from FPS dropping to the gun eating its hop rubber, that said I don't know what he's done to it between these problems cropping up.

I would personally just get a TM M14, upgrade it to 1J, fit a Promy 6.03, the reinforced cut off lever and run it on .23s/.25s.

Levett: You do know the PSG uses the same drum hop unit as the SL9 right? The wiring is the same as any other Marui AEG and a fire selector bypass involves about 10 minutes of solder work.

I don't know why everyone slates the PSG as an AEG sniper, my dad's has had a near bolt action limit fps spring  added, metal bushings and he bypassed the electrical safety and runs it off a custom 10.8 2000mah battery he built himself. Other than that everything else is stock and he can engage torso targets out to 60-65m on .3s, and we know that because we were testing it on an outdoor shooting range, headshot range is about 40m certain in good conditions. The creaking isn't that bad either, although I would say its one to buy only if you like the looks more than anything else.

Unless STAR have improved their QC I would personally avoid the SL9, a friend of mine has one and has had nothing but problems from FPS dropping to the gun eating its hop rubber, that said I don't know what he's done to it between these problems cropping up.

I would personally just get a TM M14, upgrade it to 1J, fit a Promy 6.03, the reinforced cut off lever and run it on .23s/.25s.

Levett: You do know the PSG uses the same drum hop unit as the SL9 right? The wiring is the same as any other Marui AEG and a fire selector bypass involves about 10 minutes of solder work.

The STAR SL9 is superb. Your friend was unlucky, but definitely not alone. I've stated in another thread, the STAR hop units suffer, and this is normally accountable for 80% of all problems with STAR AEG's. Just replace it with a Marui or System one and your fine.

As far as PSG's go, I'm not actually aware I was having a "pop" at it? Stating true experiences of a rifle is simply adding facts a decision! Just as you did yourself with your friends SL9.

However, another fact to add, is my SL9 runs like a dream, is amazingly accurate, and equally as powerful. The one issue I have had with my SL9 was about 0.8mm of the inner barrel moving. This has now been resolved with a quick bit of engineering in the form of a retainer ring.

I still strongly stand by my list: SL9 / M14 / PSG = Best AEG Sniper / DM Rifles out of the box.

If you have the money, the CA SR25 variant, with a high torque motor and some systema gears becomes another option.

:)

Ah, I wasn't meaning to come across as having a go at you specifically it was the "Until the wiring fries, hop unit splats and it begins to creek that is" after mentioning the PSG that seemed as if you were having a pop as you put it.

I agree with your list though, each requires a little bit of work but do make excellent DMRs

Greg: The cut off lever is a part responsible for disengaging the trigger switch from the contacts in semi automatic fire (though the sector gear has to work with this part to do so). In the M14 there has been a few cases of the stock one getting worn down meaning you lose semi auto and the gun runs in full auto in either fire mode. Guarder make a replacement made with a harder metal that doesn't wear down as easily. Its not an essential part to replace but more something you could do for peace of mind

Archived