Which vest should i get?

tom lawson

Which Vest?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Select one, please list the 'other' if chosen..

• Marom Dolphin Vest..
    • An Arktis Vest
    • Warrior RICAS
    • Other..

Hey all, i need a new form of load bearing equipment..

at the moment, i have the standard brit plce webbing, with 3 x utility pouches, and 2 x double ammo pouches..

i carry a water bottle (standard uk issue, roughly A5 paper size, 3 inches deep), gas canister, A5-size bag of bb's, leatherman, speedloader, snacks, 4 x m14 magazines, should be going up to 5 or 6 hopefully.., ess advancer case and bits, m9 pistol (i want it on my lbe, not my leg), 1 m9 mag, 1 x mp7 in a dropleg holster, and maybe 3 short mp7 mags, and i think thats it..

links: marom-dolphin vest http://www.zahal.org/gear/p20.htm (i like this, although lack of pistol holster is annoying)

preferred arktis vest http://specialforceskit.co.uk/store/k176-s...7d7feec9dedf480 (pity about the price)

RICAS http://www.uktactical.com/acatalog/Warrior....S_Command.html

im interested in something similar to this http://www.onpatrol.co.uk/6.0.6.osprey_com...sault_vest.html but cannot find where, if anywhere, it is available..

thanks for taking the time to read this, and helping me decide!!

price is a factor, £150 is really the max im looking at, although i may be willing to extend this for the right bit of gear...

thanks again,

Tom

edit: i forgot to say that i want the vest to be as low profile as possible, as ive found that i get stuck when crawling thru dense undergrowth with my plce on

also, any comments as to why to get a particular vest over another would be appreciated.

Comando recon rig

I voted for the dolphin vest, but not that one :) its designed to go over armour, and isnt the most comfy without. The link above is the commando harness, simple, spacious, and tough as hell... it all depends on if this is for a look or not, but this vest does give overall vesty images... I would take dolphin gear into combat ANYDAY.

R

None of those solutions have a much lower profile than properly fitted PLCE webbing. I have a RICAS, assault vest, and PLCE webbing. The RICAS is definitely the most bulky of all of them, because it has SAPIs and a multitude of large pouches front and back. The assault vest is best for vehicle work, as the flat back and lack of items around the waist make it easy to sit down. The PLCE I find works best for woodland environments, it's much easier to go prone and you get more freedom of movement in the upper body.

If you're doing a DPM loadout, the Arktis vest is really the only one that suits. If you're changing cam, then I would recommend the Warrior RICAS, because it is really good value.

The Osprey 'assault vest' (really just a PALS platform) that OnPatrol have is something developed by them, and if it isn't on sale there that's because it is out of stock or not yet in production.

'seems' is lovely advice... :) try wearing or using it before deciding how useful it is. youll note that there isnt any pouches on the sides... thus redicing the profile from that of plce... which is VERY wide imo.

R

Don't get me wrong Bella, I wasn't saying the vest was in any way bad, just that you were wrong. There's more stuff on the front that gets in the way of the arms, things on the front that will be annoying when going prone, and yes, there does seem to be a giant pack on the back of it, unless my eyes are deceiving me. Also, there are pouches on the side of that vest, not big ones, but they are there.

we looking at the one he suggested or i?

the one he suggested is quite narrow profile, but a bit deep, and as ive used them, trust me, they dont hamper aiming, and as ive got short arms, i notice things in the way a LOT... its a comfy vest, designed for over armour... the one i suggested is more for foot work, and patrols, and more ground workl, prone, crawling etc, looks vest stacked, but its really not too bad to use. depends what he needs it for, tbh, idf kit is the sex for woodland soft, as its insanely tough, and doesnt have much snag points, while maximising carry capacity.

ive used plce extensively, and the two idf vests less so, but still, belive me, if i had to fight, id use the idf ones... thier just more user friendly imo.

R

if we are still talking about the IDF rig. I've played with that IDF rig before, my first game. and i gotta say that it never gotten in the way of me shouldering my weapons and the reloads were relatively easy. If that vest is any sort of indicator of what the rest of the IDF loadouts are, then the IDF don't play.

we looking at the one he suggested or i?

the one he suggested is quite narrow profile, but a bit deep, and as ive used them, trust me, they dont hamper aiming, and as ive got short arms, i notice things in the way a LOT... its a comfy vest, designed for over armour... the one i suggested is more for foot work, and patrols, and more ground workl, prone, crawling etc, looks vest stacked, but its really not too bad to use. depends what he needs it for, tbh, idf kit is the sex for woodland soft, as its insanely tough, and doesnt have much snag points, while maximising carry capacity.

ive used plce extensively, and the two idf vests less so, but still, belive me, if i had to fight, id use the idf ones... thier just more user friendly imo.

R

Ah, my apologies, I'm on the wrong vest.

thanks for all the advice, guys n gal(s?)

yeah, the problem with plce i find is that i get stuck between bush branches on either side of me, there is no problem with them above me..

the idf vest (i'll probably go for the one i posted Belladonna, i want more of a 'vest' style rig, to even the load i carry out) is really tempting..

theyre good prices as well!

thanks again,

Tom

ok, looking at the warrior now, one question though..

would it be feasible to attach an mp7 to http://www.optactical.com/tagweca.html on the right ride of the vest, so that the mp7 rests under my right arm?

i cant see why there would be a problem..

finally, do the warrior ricas double m4 pouches fit m14 magazines? how many?

thanks again,

Tom

• 1 month later...

Archived