M15a4 carbine outer barrel removal.

Handsome Pete

You need to unscrew the Barrel Nut(star toothed part) which has the tapered Delta Ring surrounding it. Once unscrewed the Barrel Nut and D-Ring will come off as one and the barrel will fall free.

Ideally you need an armourers peg spanner such as this(Classic Army model):

BarrelNutSpanner.jpg

Alternatively, you can use mole grips, pipe spanner or similar with some wood or lead padding to prevent damage to the Star teeth. Not as easy though and swearing will be involved.

Me:

Alternatively, you can use mole grips, pipe spanner or similar with some wood or lead padding to prevent damage to the Star teeth. Not as easy though and swearing will be involved.

Do you really need a diagram or detailed explanation to undo a nut?

No mention of electrical tape in your post though ;)

EDIT: Incoming step by step instructions.

1. Find pliers with a tooth pattern similar to this

DSCN2296.jpg

The tooth I am pointing to is what will grab the nut best. Wrap this in vinyl electrical tape.

2. Push the delta ring downwards exposing the barrel nut.

DSCN2298.jpg

3. Use pliers on nut. Do make sure that you twist gradually and firmly, don't do short bursts of twisting action for that will make the pliers slip and scratch.

DSCN2299.jpg

DSCN2301.jpg

Wood and lead are, I find, superior to tape because the pliers/grips don't cut through it when nut is solid, which it should be. The wood/lead also forms around the star teeth so greatly reducing the chances of damage to the nut but giving greater purchase.

Archived