Newbish question- Large type battery and chargers?

AirsoftHawaii90

OK, well this is I belive my first post in the Newbie section but it is a basic question.

I have used mainly Mini type batterys in my AEGs rangeing from 8.4v to 10.4v mini packs. Just resently, I got my first Large type battery (Uhhh.. Finally!) for my AK-47. Its a GP 3000mah 8.4v battery pack, does anyone have any experience with these? Large batterys are Massive compaired to mini batterys!!! :P

Also, sence I dont have a Smart charger yet (Yes, shame on me, I should have one after 6+ batterys..) so my 2nd question, is-

Would it be Ok to charge the battery on a Mini type battery charger? Its only rated at 8.4v output but its the only one I have that works well. I know theres a big difference with large type and mini type connectors but this will only be temporary untell I rewire the battery to deans.

I tryed to charge it for about 30min but it was already starting to get hot. Hot as is after I charge and Elite battery for 5 hrs. Its a dead battery so I am guessing it will draw a lot of energy but withh it be ok for 7-8hrs by itself???

Thanks for the help! :flamed:

You won't be able to charge a large battery with a small charger as the connectors just wont fit. If you change the connectors there wont be a problem. There is no difference between the actual chargers, just with the connectors.

Also, with regards to the battery getting hot, thats probably a faulty charger. Cooked one of my batteries that way. <_<

Rich.

I run a big GP battery, the only problem is where to put them :) I also use a smart charger because of all the different batteries I have lying around and this thing just goes beep beep beep when theyre ready

I cant see a problem using a standard mini charger allthough Ive never used one and immediately got rid of mine, I shouldnt have thought it would be getting hot after 30mins, meh my knowledge way too limited, I think theres a seperate battery tech section you should take this too

Thanks for the replyes.

To clear things up, the charger was getting hot, deffinately not the battery. Is this naturual for a large type battery?

Also, I made my mini connector fit so that wont be a problem. If I mess up th connectors that ont be a problem because I am switching to deans anyway.

Yes, I found it took up all of the room in my AK stock and I had t do some modding to it too. But it fits dfine now so I am happy.

If the mods see this, could you move this topic to the battery section and remove the "Newbish question-" please?

Charger getting hot is normal.For me anyway. Never broken a battery or caused a problem.

Rich.

Well, in this case it did get hot but too hot..

I left it to charge this morning and later, my dad smelled something and unplugged it. The charger melted. I guess there was just too much heat and the charger couldnt meet the needs of the battery. So, now I am short one charger and I think I may have killed my large type battery...

Lesson learned, always use the right charger.. Now I need a smart charger. <_<

What about those Li-Po battery?

I heard they are real good, light and powerful.....

Nope. Not for me, there too expencive and you have to buy a special charger. I dont want to risk burning my AK stock into nothing because I didnt take propper care of the battery. :D

MELTED the charger. :blink:

Wow.

I'm assuming all these chargers you have are the P.O.S ones you get with chearsofts?

I nearly killed a battery or two with them.

My advice. Go out and spend peanuts on a good (smart) charger with auto cut-off. Preferably with a large to small battery connector aswell. ;)

Rich.

MELTED the charger. :blink:

Wow.

I'm assuming all these chargers you have are the P.O.S ones you get with chearsofts?

I nearly killed a battery or two with them.

My advice. Go out and spend peanuts on a good (smart) charger with auto cut-off. Preferably with a large to small battery connector aswell. ;)

Rich.

Yup! ^_^

But yes, I am going to pick up a good charger soon but I may have to make the connector.

Yes, LiPo batteries are MUCH more fragile then standard NiCad or NiMH ones - they are just a foil bag whereas normal batteries have a metal can to protect them.

Also, they are extremely sensitive to being overcharged - they can explode, which they may also do if you discharge them too quickly. I really wouldn't recommend them unless you really need the insane ROF they provide.

Nihil, by 'taking a hit', do you literally mean a BB hitting the battery? What are your LiPos doing on the outside of your gun? :unsure:

Applying force to a LiPo battery pack is a REALLY bad idea - again there is a risk of fire or explosion. Lithium is really reactive (remember science lessons? Lithium + water = bang). I know model flyers who have crashed their plane and had it burst into flames because of the battery. Or dropped their LiPo, then tried to charge it and nearly burnt the house down. I don't imagine a BB could impart the same amount of force, but the risk's still there.

So yes, 'cell death' is one way of putting it... although 'gun death' might follow unless you got the pack out of there in time... toasted M4 anyone?

Stu

Archived