WWII Waffen SS loadout Guide

Gadge

Obershcutze 9th SS Division 'Hohenstaufen' in Holland September 1944

The Hohenstaufen were an 'anti airlanding and invasion' division formed late in the war, they fought at Arnhem and Normandy amongst other places and were one of the only SS units to be completely free of accusations of war crimes.

99 per cent of this kit is repro. From top to bottom.

M40 field cap with woven insignia

Both these items from 'Northern Militaria' but can also be sourced from 'Spearhead' for much cheaper.

Scarf is a plain white civvie cotton type material.

Roughly £15 - £35

Tunic is a repro 1940 pattern tunic all in field grey, tunic cost about £40 from Spearhead miliaria (hereafter SP). insignia is included with the tunic

Trousers are m43 kielhosen again from SP.

Over this i'm wearing the 'dot44' or 'peadot' combat uniform/oversuit issued in march 44, this is usually worn without insignia over the filed grey uniform but could be worn on its own in summer. About £60 from SP.

If you buy tunics from Barry Lyndon (aka SP) he tends to include the basic insignia and privates shoulder boards for free.

Boots are post war 1950s jackboots various sources and about £30 (i got mine off a mate), post war ones ae good for airsoft as they look the same but have a rubber sole so you dont slide everywhere on hobnails. Short boots and green canvas gaiters are more appropriate and cost less (gaiters about £5 SU)

Field equipment:

SS enlisted mens belt. (£13 from 'dishmop' on ebay.

Repro mp40 pouches from Soldier of Fortune (hereafter SOF) about £35

Original 1940 k98 bayonet as fighting knife £65 from militaria dealer

repro 'y-straps' and utiltity straps about £30 off ebay.

On rear is a bread bag £10 SU and a slighty post war water bottle and mug £15 from a militaria dealer.

Also on rear gas mask cannister £15 from a militaria fair.

Weapons

AGM mp40 £95 with four extra mags from RSOV

Repro stick grenades £10 each off ebay.

DSC00687.jpg

DSC00678.jpg

I dont usually care for WW2 stuff but that is nice! Ii especially like the webbing, looks like some rudimentary assault vest. Would it be acceptable to replace the headwear with one of those m43 caps? And if they were to wear gloves, what type would they be?

DArkchild

Yep, m43 ski cap is a perfect alternative, i just wear a side cap as they were a mark of 'old sweats'.

An m43 cap would have a deaths head on the front and the eagle on the side.

Grey wool gloves or civilian leather ones would be fine.

Kit guide for other ss kit including the sort of cap you want here:

http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/pages/ss-kit-guide.html

Looking good Gadge, the only thing i'd mention is the boots. By '44, the only people (especially in a newly raised formation like the 9th SS) who would be wearing jackboots would be Senior NCO's and Officers (yes, Officers did wear jackboots as well as riding boots).

Regarding gloves, if it's EM go for wool, if it's Officer then grey leather gloves.

I'd have to query this mate.

its a pretty common opinion RE boots however i've got a stack of pictures of 2nd panzer advancing to normandy and some of the new recruits have jackboots. Equally its rare but you do occasionally see dot 44 worn with marching boots.

As i said in the original text low boots are more appropriate in general but as it happens i was wearing jackboots for that pic so i thought i would include them.

But yeah in general you're right but i did say that jack boots were less appropriatein the first place :)

No but I'd see that as an amazing compliment being a gentleman and all that... what ho! :)

Out of curiosity how does one look 'too British'. I mean i did occasionally used to DJ in cricket whites and tank top but thats as stereotypical as i got really :)

Right spearhead are your cheapest via ebay.

Next best bet is 'militaria.net' run by a guy called anthony in the UK and a diamond geezer, if you contact him tell him I told you to call :)

Anthonys a little bit more expensive (but stil very reasonable) but its in the uk and its easier to get stuff exchanged if its the wrong size.

http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=52

Cheers Gadge. When's the next game involving "zee Germans"? I'm back in the UK in april/may and quite fancy giving it a go.

Well you'l miss our game this sunday

But theirs an SS vs russian partisans game on May 10th in shropshire and Gunmans D-Day game in April!

Very nice, looks professional, well documented. The bakelite version of the agm mp40 looks really nice in that pic.

You should get a steilhelm, dont know the actual name. One of the best looking helmets IMO.

Yeah i have one chap.

M40 stalhelm

DSC00058.jpg

I have mine oversprayed 'dunkelgelb' and usually wear it with breadbag strags securing foliage, sometimes for Heer impressions i use a splinter pattern helmet cover and a strip of inner tube to secure foliage,

like this

PqTpEer-aae58fc6dab8a73fe7385022744.jpg

DSC01976.jpg

1944airborne = Soldier of Fortune, purveyor of many an item thats either A: wrong B: badly made c: expensive when compared to other suppliers

Though, to be fair, you do sometimes find stuff on there at a good price, but not often!

well for example. a BAR belt in the states is like 80-100 bucks if you can find one (which you cant). SOF has them for 19 quid! thats still just 40 USD!

translation: F*CK YEAH

Erm, well its in quite clear Queens English chap.

I'll break it down :)

From reports i have heard.

About SOF repro US webbing items,

the metal work on the belts is shockingly poor (its monkey metal).

It breaks very easily.

Thats why its cheap.

Archived